Author Topic: GRIFFITHS family in 1861  (Read 901 times)

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
GRIFFITHS family in 1861
« on: Saturday 11 January 20 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Searching for this family in 1861. In 1851 they were: Thomas GRIFFITHS, age 33, born Merlin's Bridge, Haverfordwest, a gardener; Anne his wife, age 32, born Fishguard; John, son, age 5; Elizabeth, dau., age 4; and James, son, age ?? mos. Children born Merlin's Bridge. Residing Merlin's Bridge.

Thomas GRIFFITHS, Gardener, son of Thomas, married Ann PHILLIPS, daughter of John, both residing Merlin's Bridge, on 31 October 1844.

Many thanks.

NOSWORTHY, HORSWILL, YELLAND, CROCKER, POPE in Devon; NESWORTHY in Durham & Northumberland; FARLEY in Sussex; RICKARD in Cornwall.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: GRIFFITHS family in 1861
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 20 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 20 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 20 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Children:

GRIFFITHS, JOHN mmn PHILLIPS 
GRO Reference: 1845  S Quarter in HAVERFORDWEST  Volume 26  Page 596

GRIFFITHS, ELIZABETH mmn PHILLIPS 
GRO Reference: 1846  D Quarter in HAVERFORDWEST  Volume 26  Page 641

GRIFFITHS, JAMES mmn PHILLIPS 
GRO Reference: 1850  J Quarter in HAVERFORDWEST  Volume 26  Page 728

Do you have them in 1871?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 January 20 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information about missing pieces in the 1861 census. That might certainly explain what seems to be their "non-existence". I have not found them in the 1871 census with any certainty.

My purpose is to discover more about the daughter, Elizabeth Griffiths, in this family. My great grandmother was an Elizabeth GRIFFITHS, born between 1845 and 1849 (censuses are widely variable for her). It was not until the 1911 census that she reported being born in Haverfordwest (previously, only Pembrokeshire); her age in that census was 63. At her marriage to Walter Joseph Farley in 1868 in Paddington, she stated her father was "Thomas GRIFFITHS, a Grocer". I have her in the 1871 census, married.

My search has been ongoing for many years to find her parents. The best I can do now is to research individual families with an Elizabeth, born around 1846, and a father, Thomas, born in Haverfordwest around this time frame and try and discover what happens to that daughter. I have yet to find a Thomas as a Grocer. Difficult to say the least when censuses are missing. The link to my Elizabeth is here: http://annebrooks.ca/getperson.php?personID=I9&tree=6126

Again, thanks so much for your time.
NOSWORTHY, HORSWILL, YELLAND, CROCKER, POPE in Devon; NESWORTHY in Durham & Northumberland; FARLEY in Sussex; RICKARD in Cornwall.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.