Author Topic: Bolton Westmorland  (Read 878 times)

Offline LynHotchin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bolton Westmorland
« on: Sunday 12 January 20 04:24 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my family of Gibson who originally came from  Bolton, Westmorland , then moved on to Scotland, until going to Ireland as a "Scottish military officer" in the late 1600's. This information came from an 1856 letter written by family we received.
It puzzles me as to why people at this time would leave Bolton and go to the Planting of Ireland in the late 1600's. Why via Scotland? My searches have not made any picture and reasons for this move clear.
Could anyone offer me any information, references etc to this part of my family history puzzle?
Many thanks for any information you may be able to help me with.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton Westmorland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 January 20 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Could you give a few names and dates, please.

The letter was written in 1856 - how accurate do you believe it to be?

As a military officer you went where you were sent?

By 'originally came from Bolton' - how do you know?

Offline LynHotchin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton Westmorland
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 January 20 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

The letter is a  letter which has been handed down through the years with accompanying photos. It was written by the Rev James Gibson in 1856 in response to his granddaughter's curiosity about our family history. He wrote the letter from "home" in Glaslough, County Monaghan, after retiring from a 34 year ministry at Lislooney Presbyterian Church. The letter we have is a copy of course, but in his handwriting. We have other letters to compare his handwriting to.  He related the story told to him by his father, Alexander Gibson ( who was born in Cronery on Dec 11 th 1711) The names of the men in the preceding generations were James, Alexander, James ... with brothers Samuel, William and John.
My 3xgreat grandfather ( the Rev James Gibson) told us his grandfather James was at the Siege of Londonderry. That "the first of the family to come to Ireland , from Scotland was "Captain Gibson". He said the name was unknown to his father. He went on to say that the family had originally come from Bolton in Westmorland before going to Scotland. There were Gibsons in Bolton with our family names in the 1600 and 1700's.  Most of the long letter has been proven to be correct. Even to addresses in Dublin where it was stated family lived.
I hope this helps. Thank you again.