Author Topic: Place name - Tarbolton  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Place name - Tarbolton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
What are other place names on the same page as they're likely to be in close proximity?

Many names were localised to distinguish them & eventually became known names.

I found a Crofthead & Crofthead Cottage close to Biggary Burn...

https://maps.nls.uk/view/75494670

I also found a description of Biggaryburn Cottage...

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/ayrshire-os-name-books-1855-1857/ayrshire-volume-62/26

Whether both are the same I don't know?

I agree it's Biggary as Scots are notorious for shortening words like Biggary/Bigrie but I have also seen numerous spellings of other places but back in 1700s there would be no official spelling.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:13 GMT (UK) »
It's possible that this was one of the "fermtouns" which were swept away in the mid to late 1700's during the Lowland Clearances of the "Age of Improvement" in the late 1700's early 1800's.

Added I've checked a 1636 map of the area which shows many of the fermtouns but nothing like Bigrie (or similar) listed in that area although I consider the suggestions by others re the location to be pretty accurate.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosinish. I had read the description from the 1855 ordinance surveys. This is also description of the burn, which I have also come across called just "biggary".
A Small Stream flowing and collecting from tile drains North of Auchenweet in a westerly direction crossing the Parish Road at Biggary burn Cottage thence along a Straight fence till it takes a drain through Tarbolton Loch to the Water of Fail the whole of it is nearly an artificial cut -

I am quite happy that I have found the place referred to by earlier spellings as Bigrie. Whether the head is at the cottage or slightly further east at Glenhead is not that important. In the early 1700s the burn may not have been as fully engineered as a drainage system as it was by the mid-1800s.
Today Biggary burn seems to be in danger-  http://www.ayrfishing.co.uk/2019/03/tarbolton-landfill-pollution/

Thanks to all for your help.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 January 20 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Just to muddy the waters (no pun intended) there is a fermtoun listed as Bagree in Roys 1745 map it is further east and just south of what is now Kilmarnock.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 January 20 12:45 GMT (UK) »
What is the record Neale?

I've just looked at more maps, but no luck. There is just not enough detail on any I have found so far.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 January 20 20:57 GMT (UK) »
The record is from a 1733 baptism in Tarbolton parish. The family was in Tarbolton for many generations. Then the branch I am interested in moved to Troon / Dundonald about 1830, or a bit later. I will keep my eyes out in case I come across the same name in other records.

It seems less likely to be the place Falkryn found which is closer to Kilmarnock.
Thanks again for your interest.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 January 20 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the baptisms of other children born to the same couple to see if this place is mentioned on those as well?