Author Topic: Why Golden?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Why Golden?
« on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Researching my great-grandmother Kate Frances Warner 1860-1924 I found that of her 10 siblings, 5 were given the name Golden either as a first or middle name. Since their mother's maiden name is Knight I am trying to work out why this was done? I haven’t found any possible Golden grandparents although I am still looking in to this. Has anyone any other ideas?

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Why Golden?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:12 GMT (UK) »
On my husbands tree Tennant was used for a male second name until just into 1900s. The last on my husband's pedigree was his uncle who didn't survive childhood.

The lady with that maiden name married into the family in the very early 1800s so at least 3 generations were carrying the name. Luckily she was my husband's 4th gt grandmother so I eventually found her.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Is her father described as a Gold smith anvil maker in 1871 census?  Anvil could be Swivel after looking again.

Gold swivel maker in 1861?

Added: Goldsmith and Jeweller in 1851, as appears to be grandfather etc etc so Golden from his job?

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Is her father described as a Gold smith anvil maker in 1871 census?  Anvil could be Swivel after looking again.

Gold swivel maker in 1861?

Added: Goldsmith and Jeweller in 1851, as appears to be grandfather etc etc so Golden from his job?

That is the family. I did wonder about the job but is this a common practice? Also he does not have seemed to be too successful as his wife is a greengrocer (and in 1881 he is as well).

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Not a common occurrence then, but previously that was how certain surnames were derived from.

Perhaps they just liked the idea, and their ancestors had been involved with gold for quite a few years.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 January 20 12:14 GMT (UK) »
The lady with that maiden name married into the family in the very early 1800s so at least 3 generations were carrying the name. Luckily she was my husband's 4th gt grandmother so I eventually found her.
Yes, it could go a long way back.  My father (1905-96) was the third person to carry a middle name which commemorated a marriage 100 years before his birth.

But there are other reasons for obscure names - possibly a popular entertainer of the period, or some other event or place of importance to the family.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 January 20 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how far you have gone back with the Family to find the Golden name?

HENRY BEN Warner Bapt 1 March 1801 St Andrew, Holborn to JAMES/SARAH
Siblings that are easy to find;
ELIZABETH ANN 23 AUG 1798, birth 1795   
MARY 23 AUG 1798
SARAH MARGARET 15 JUL 1804

1841 Census
Ashby St
St Pancras
James Warner   65 Gold ...?
Anne Warner   25 Milliner
James Warner   13****

Could Sarah, Wife of James be nee Golden?
(havent found a Marriage though c 1791-1795)

James Henry Warners Father died 1845

He married as Henry Benjamin Warner to Elizabeth BEECH 12 August 1826 St. Andrew'S, Holborn, Middlesex

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 January 20 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I found a distant "off shoot" ancestor given Hughes as one of her middle names; more research found that one of her aunts had 'married well" to a Mr Hughes. Any hopes of a potential bequest were lost when the infant died before her second birthday.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 January 20 12:36 GMT (UK) »
James Warner may have been christened 31 JAN 1773 St Andrew, Holborn to JOHN/ANN Warner

And there is a Marriage;
12 September 1765
Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London
John WARNER to Elizabeth GOLD
I cant see a image on Anc so cant check surname

May be just clutching at straws :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)