Author Topic: Hyndman & McVannel  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hyndman & McVannel
« on: Sunday 12 January 20 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Peter Hyndman born 25 04 1813, a twin to Archibald. Parents Donald Hyndman and Christain McCallum.

Family search has Peter Hyndman , Saddell Parish married Jean McVannel, Kilcalmonell Parish in 1842 at Whitehouse, Skipness/Saddell Parish. They both died in Erin , Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada. Marriages in 1842 and Death Certificates in Canada do not list parents.

How do I verify Donald and  Christain Hyndman 's Peter born 25 04 1813 married Jean as it was always thought that the twins Peter and Archibald died.

2nd Archibald Hyndman born 02 03 1815.

Thanks, Dooker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Hyndman & McVannel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 20 20:25 GMT (UK) »
The original record of that marriage indexed on FamilySearch is at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and it gives the bride's surname as MacV. Not McVannel. Where did they get McVannel from? How do they know it wasn't MacVarish or MacVicar or MacVitie etc?

According to one transcription there's a household in the 1841 census in Saddell consisting of Christina Hyndman, 66; Catherine Hyndman, 36; Christina Hyndman, 34; Peter Hyndman, 27; Daniel Reid, 18; Duncan Wilkie, 12; and Catherine Reid, 4.

Another transcription has them as Hydman, and they are indexed as Hyndman at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk where you can view an image of the original census, though this gives Christina jr's age as 24 not 34.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dooker

Just for additional info here on the thread (sure you have this all), this looks to be a family tree put up on Family Search for Peter born 1813 www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/KCV3-T5H

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 20 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfian,

Thanks for the reply.  I have the Certificate of the Marriage/Banns , it is at the bottom of the page and her name was listed as Jean Mac Vana the rest cut off. 

I have also researched the Census with Peter, Christina, and Catherine, and  Christina b 1775,also Daniel Reid 18, and Catherine Reid 4.  I have researched quite a bit with this family and Peter had two sisters Effyborn 1811 and Catherine born 1818, no Christina that I know. Hyndman name was spelled many different ways and I have checked all.  This is my family. Archibald married two sisters, Fletcher, Effy married Hamilton and McCallum, Catherine married Taylor. Neil married Barbra stalker and they were my gr grandparents.  I will reply to Monica regarding the Family search Tree with this Peter Hyndman.

Thanks again, Dooker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 January 20 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I note from that tree that there is no mention of Peter Hyndman and Jean McVannel naming a son Donald, which you'd expect them to do if Peter's father was Donald.

There's a Peter Hyndman in Upper Canada in 1851 and 1861 who gives his age as 40 in 1851, so born 1810 or 1811, with wife Isabella, and his eldest son is Donald.

I am wondering if the one who married Jean MacV was an unrecorded son of David Hyndman and Christian Hyndman? Note that this couple had a daughter Effy, and the Peter Hyndman who married Jean McVannel named a daughter Euphemia.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 January 20 21:28 GMT (UK) »
This looks to be Peter and wife Jane in Ontario in 1871 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M4QB-ZKD

ADDED: Is this them in 1881 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MVF2-TPP If so, what a difference 10 yrs makes...now no children in the household.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 January 20 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Are there any connections between Peter and Euphemia in Ontario?

Can't easily see a death cert for her using a death year of 1893 from here www.findagrave.com/memorial/124845752/euphemia-hamilton

When does the surname McCallum come in Dooker? Before or after Hamilton?

Added: Euphemia in 1881?www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MVD6-P18

Monica

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 January 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Firstly I would like to say I contacted a Roots Chat member in Sep 2019 re McVannel but he was doing a different family and did not provide any further details.,

Effy Hyndman married Duncan Hamilton on 14 08 1829, they had two daughters Christina and Jane born 1831.  Have not found anything further.  Was told Typhoid in Kintyre 1830-1840.
Effy then married Duncan McCallum in 1836.She married as Effie Hyman. I was never able to verify his details, had parents as Donald McCallum and Mary McBride.He died 21 05 1891 They had 7 children and I did extensive research with them.  One daughter had 12 children and they had moved on to Cambusnethan.  Effy died at Ardrossan 23 09 1888. She had two daughters there, both died prior to her.

Peter Hyndman and MacVannel are my enigma at the moment. !!!

Thanks again for your help.

Dooker

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 January 20 22:05 GMT (UK) »
The Reid children you mention in the Hyndman household in 1841 look to likely belong to couple named Duncan Reid and Mary Hyndman.

A number of children showing for them such as www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBC5-KWY

Another sister for the group, in addition to Euphemia and Catherine that you have found?

Monica