Author Topic: 1875 Redenhall with Harleston WAYE family from Okehampton Devon  (Read 855 times)

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1875 Redenhall with Harleston WAYE family from Okehampton Devon
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thx Rosie99, following on from maddys52 I updated my Surrey Card and did some searching (libraries have changed - phones going off all the time - I was looked at as that crazy man when I stepped out to take a call!) and just found the link to search from home although I not finding British LIBRARY Newspapers (Gale Newspapers) very intuitive - I'll get there.
Okehampton has a very good geneology group apparently so we are planning a short stay down there.
I also found a good 'cheat' just now. In the old days most streets had a pub and these are well documented on Pubwiki etc. by finding the local pub and then the publican in a census year, I could find a street to search for links to how people new each other.
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: 1875 Redenhall with Harleston WAYE family from Okehampton Devon
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Glad you worked out how to access the papers. I find it quite addictive trawling through old newspapers (and getting quite distracted on tangents!). Gale recently changed the "look" of the search, and it does take a bit of getting used to.