Author Topic: Those pesky Deacons!  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Those pesky Deacons!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 June 21 12:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, that does fit with what I have.  I have a 2nd son Richard baptised 1729 Chieveley.

Interestingly I have a DNA match with someone who traces back to

Elizabeth Deacon
Marriage Date:   01 Jan 1823
Marriage Place:   Chieveley,Berkshire,England
Spouse:   
Joseph Winter
FHL Film Number:   254496, 254497, 254498

In the 1841 census Elizabeth is born in Chievely but I cannot see a baptism for her anywhere.

The mystery deepens!

Thank you, that's great, looks like the Chieveley link is firming up.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 June 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in the Deacon family of Ilsley as I think they link up with the Deacon's of Chieveley and Jenny Deacon born 1738 is my ancestress.  I believe she was the daughter of Thomas Deacon born 1699 East Ilsley and his wife Elizabeth (maiden name unknown)  Their first child, John, was baptised in Chievely in 1727.

Any extra information or assistance would be very gratefully received.

Looking at the transcriptions available for this marriage on 16 April 1726 at Chieveley
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NVMZ-H48
Thomas DEARON & Elizabeth DOMFTE
Berks Marriage Index has
Thomas SCARON & Elizabeth POINTER

So I think that's them, and Pointer is the correct name for Elizabeth.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 June 21 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that - I am not surprised I hadn't found it!

Now to go looking for Elizabeth Pointer.

Gill
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 June 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
The nearest baptism I can find for Elizabeth Winter nee Deacon is 1803 Pangbourne - not a million miles away and (once again) daughter of James and Sarah!

And, naturally there appear to be two Elizabeth Pointers born about the right time in Chievely (sigh)! One in 1709 d/0 Benjamin and Catherine and one in 1707 d/o John and Elizabeth - my money is on the 1795 one but .............................

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 June 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
The nearest baptism I can find for Elizabeth Winter nee Deacon is 1803 Pangbourne - not a million miles away and (once again) daughter of James and Sarah!

Looking at burials, there are plenty of Deacons in Pangbourne going back as far as 1701 ("child of a harness dresser").  There may be a connection with the Ilsley Deacons, as a couple of them are mentioned as being collarmakers, which seems to have been a family trade.  Harness dresser fits in there too.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 June 21 19:21 BST (UK) »
I suspect you are right and there is a connection, I note that someone I have a distant DNA match with has both Deacon (John 1736 East Ilsley) and Bunce in their tree, which is another family name. I believe James Tague, son of Jenny/Jane Deacon married Martha Bunce in Yattendon in 1785 and baptised a son Thomas in Hurst in 1786