Author Topic: Those pesky Deacons!  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Those pesky Deacons!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Brimpton to Lambourn is about 20 miles, a bit less for Brimpton to East Ilsley.

There certainly was a Francis Deacon in Ilsley, as there is the 1637 baptism.  I should add there's also a burial of a Francis Deacon in 1656, so if that's him he didn't make old bones.  But the records are very patchy as said, so there may have been an older Francis whose baptism was unrecorded, or elsewhere.

For completeness, much earlier a Richard DEKYN married Sara NEWBERY 17 Apr 1589 in West Ilsley, and baptised a son Richard on 2 Nov the same year.  There don't seem to be any more entries for them so they could have moved to East Ilsley.

Then we have the confusing Richard Deacons in East Ilsley.  There may be two or three of them, or they might even all be the same one! 
The Richard who married Elizabeth Hopkins and sired Francis 1637
The Richard(s) named as father at the following baptisms with no mother's name given:
1653 Mary, 1655/6 Elizabeth, 1657/8 Anne, 1660/1 John*, 1663 Richard.
The Richard who baptised the following with wife Christian:
1666 Thomas, 1669 Martha

One burial of a Richard Deacon, in 1676.
*John married a Joan and had three daughters.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 00:56 GMT (UK) »
@smudwhisk
I found something in the Overseers Papers that links your Francis Deacon with Brimpton.

29 March 1680  Bond of Daniel SMITH [ + ] of Brimpton, cordwainer, and Francis DECON [+DEACON] of Lambourn, collarmaker, in the sum of £40 to Overseer(s):  William GALE and John PEMBROOKE re any manner of costs, etc should Daniel SMITH, his wife and children become chargeable to Brimpton.  Witnesses: Ralph MAY [ + ] John ARUNDELL [ x ] Joseph GODDIN [ + ]
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 08:23 GMT (UK) »
@smudwhisk
I found something in the Overseers Papers that links your Francis Deacon with Brimpton.

29 March 1680  Bond of Daniel SMITH [ + ] of Brimpton, cordwainer, and Francis DECON [+DEACON] of Lambourn, collarmaker, in the sum of £40 to Overseer(s):  William GALE and John PEMBROOKE re any manner of costs, etc should Daniel SMITH, his wife and children become chargeable to Brimpton.  Witnesses: Ralph MAY [ + ] John ARUNDELL [ x ] Joseph GODDIN [ + ]

Thanks for that Sloe Gin, interesting.  I wonder whether perhaps Daniel Smith of Brimpton married one of Daniel and Jane's two surviving daughters, it would explain the bond.  They could of course be other family members.  I shall have to have a look at the Brimpton records when I get a chance at an LDS Family History Centre.  As you say though it does link Francis with Brimpton whatever the relationship.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, and it goes a fair way towards confirming that the Brimpton marriage is your Francis.  Perhaps he's a son of the earlier Francis Deacon who married there in 1607.  Would be interesting to see those BTs, hopefully they're more complete than the East Ilsley ones.
Anyway the likelihood of him belonging to the Ilsley Deacon family is receding.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 June 21 23:43 BST (UK) »
Also, the trees say Joane Deakon was the daughter of a Thomas Whitaker and an Elizabeth Hornblower. On closer inspection, that couple had a SON, John not a daughter, Joane.

And this one is a marriage at St Nicolas, Newbury, between William DEACON and Joan WHITECAR on 13 Sep 1691, which does look spot on for that baptism of William jr in July 1692.  Again I would want to look at St Nicolas PRs to make sure that this couple weren't baptising children there, but this marriage looks worth pencilling in at least.  I'd do that before worrying about who her parents are.

Just picked this up again.  The Newbury marriage entry says Joan Whitecar "of Ilsly", so I think that settles it. 
The St Nicolas section of the Berks Baptisms CD doesn't yet include the period after the marriage, but I'm inclined to feel these are our people.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 June 21 11:34 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in the Deacon family of Ilsley as I think they link up with the Deacon's of Chieveley and Jenny Deacon born 1738 is my ancestress.  I believe she was the daughter of Thomas Deacon born 1699 East Ilsley and his wife Elizabeth (maiden name unknown)  Their first child, John, was baptised in Chievely in 1727.

Any extra information or assistance would be very gratefully received.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 June 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
Can't help directly with that, but we do know that Thomas b. 1699 had a son named Richard.

Thomas was the executor of the will of his father, William Deacon, who died in 1744.  William left property to Thomas for his lifetime, which on his death was to pass to Thomas's son Richard ("my grandson Richard Deacon, second son of the said Thomas").

Does that fit with what you have?

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 June 21 12:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, that does fit with what I have.  I have a 2nd son Richard baptised 1729 Chieveley.

Interestingly I have a DNA match with someone who traces back to

Elizabeth Deacon
Marriage Date:   01 Jan 1823
Marriage Place:   Chieveley,Berkshire,England
Spouse:   
Joseph Winter
FHL Film Number:   254496, 254497, 254498

In the 1841 census Elizabeth is born in Chievely but I cannot see a baptism for her anywhere.

The mystery deepens!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 June 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
One other thing that's come to light since I looked at this thread.
The Protestation Document of 1641/2 was signed by a Richard Deacon and a Francis Deacon.  This had to be signed by all males over the age of 18, so while the Richard mentioned below checks out, the Francis who signed cannot be his son as he would still be a young child.

So there must have been a Francis Deacon in East Ilsley who was over the age of 18 in 1642, and he is probably the one who died in 1656/7 (buried in East Ilsley Feb 20).

East Ilsley PRs proper begin in 1653.  There are a few earlier records up to 1637 from BTs, but they are patchy. 
There is a marriage in 1636 23 Nov Richard DEACON & Elizabeth HOPKINS
who baptise a son Francis on 1 Oct 1637
But there is a frustrating gap after 1637/8, and we don't start to get mothers' names again until 1664.  But this Francis could be William's father.