Author Topic: James Ferguson (1888 - 1903) Buried St. Albans  (Read 380 times)

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Ferguson (1888 - 1903) Buried St. Albans
« on: Monday 13 January 20 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching the men & boys who lost their lives as a result of working in Sunderland shipyards. One of those boys was James Ferguson a 15 year old apprentice engineer from St. Albans who was tragically killed on the 25th February 1903. My research includes finding details of their final resting place as well as taking a photo of the headstone if one has been erected.

Thanks to St. Albans cemetery department I have the burial details but do not know if there is a headstone. I would be more than grateful if there is anyone who lives near to the cemetery can check to see if there is a headstone and would be able provide me with a photo.

James was buried on the 2nd March 1903 in Hatfield Road Cemetery, St. Albans. Section A - O24.
Grave no. 2133.

If anyone researching the family sees this I would be only too pleased to forward the accident and inquest details to them.

Thanks

Ryhopelad

HAINES/HAYNES - Leicester, Northampton, Derby, Warwick
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham
SHIPBUILDING FATALITIES & ACCIDENTS ON THE RIVER WEAR, SUNDERLAND

Offline rutherglen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Ferguson (1888 - 1903) Buried St. Albans
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Jill Ashby's 'Hertfordshire Burials and Memorials' website has a photograph of the headstone you are interested in. Both James and his father (also named James) are mentioned, they both died in 1903.
Enter the name Ferguson in the Search field, and then click on the appropriate entry. (It should be quite straightforward to locate the site on Google).

I have no family relationship to the Ferguson family and neither do I live anywhere near St Albans, but I am fairly familiar with the Hatfield Road Cemetery as I have several of my family members buried there. 

Hope this helps with your research!

Rutherglen

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Ferguson (1888 - 1903) Buried St. Albans
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rutherglen

Thank you so much for providing the details of the website, have found what I was looking for which is a great help to my research.

Very impressed with the site a great resource for anyone researching in the Hertfordshire area.

Thanks again

Ryhopelad
HAINES/HAYNES - Leicester, Northampton, Derby, Warwick
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham
SHIPBUILDING FATALITIES & ACCIDENTS ON THE RIVER WEAR, SUNDERLAND