Author Topic: 2020 Scamming alert for regional NSW residents.  (Read 709 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
2020 Scamming alert for regional NSW residents.
« on: Tuesday 14 January 20 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi there everyone,

This thread has NOTHING to do with family history, so I offer my apology to RootsChat for the server space I am occupying.  I have on previous occasions shared similar issues.

BUT

May I please let you all know that several of my older rellies located throughout regional NSW (Far West, Central West, Central Tablelands, Northwest Slopes and Plains, Riverina, and Southwest Slopes and Plains) have been on the receiving end of some scamming email thingys, over the past couple of days.    They have NOT fallen for the 'trap'  but some of them have 'almost' been caught.    They don't want anyone to be trapped by this 'lurk'. 

The email topic is 'Subscription Failed to Renew'

The body of the email mentions Netflix and that they want you to try using your card again because they have had some trouble with the current billing information.  They WANT you to give them YOUR Visa Card number, and expiry info etc.  otherwise you will be permanently suspended from Netflix.

Yes, of course, the Patriarch has informed the Police and the state and federal pollies, and the entire neighbourhood and not only all the contacts on his email list, BUT all the contacts in his mobile phone, and his landline old fashioned teledex thingy, and the mayor, and now he has asked me to tell all the good NSW people at RChat.   :)

I have never, not ever, never ever ignored him.   So, please if you have elderly relatives who may have Netflix please please take the time to contact them and gently let them know that another scammer is on the loose, after their plastic card details, and do NOT give out their plastic cards in any emails, or other such deceitful requests.

:)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Scamming alert for regional NSW residents.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Netflix payment scam isn't just in N.S.W. or even Australia. Most of these sort of scams, or variations, are global. I got a few of those messages recently which I ignored since I don't even subscribe to Netflix.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 13:01 GMT (UK) »

People who get them need to View the Source of the email....which will contain a lot of stuff that they probably do not understand.

Anyone who wants to report a Scam needs to copy/paste all of those codes into a Word Doc or an email and send those Codes to Authorities who can then track the source right down to actual device it was sent from and where.

The Codes are the fingerprints needed by Authorities.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=819538.msg6816955#msg6816955
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Be very greatful that the Patriarch was on the ball enough to let everyone in his circle know about it.

They would not get far with me,as I am not with Netflix :'( :'( :'(