Author Topic: Scaffolding Collapse, Boston 1909  (Read 1039 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scaffolding Collapse, Boston 1909
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 01:04 GMT (UK) »

I think I only tried to look through the Boston Post. ...

Another big problem that I had is that I wasn't sure where to look.  You know, how many pages in.  I don't know what would be a good number for something like that.  Whether it would definitely be on the main page or not.
It would probably depend on how many people died, when you think about it.

And I was just going to  reply to be sure you knew there were a lot of papers in Boston back then. I don't know if Somerville ever had a paper of its own.

Maybe another trip to the BPL would do it.  Have you found a death notice or obituary for him?

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 01:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure there was no obituary.  I've heard he could read Irish but not English.  On the census he was illiterate.

One of his brothers died of heatstroke, when he was in his early 20s, and I could find no mention of it, other than that it was a very hot day, and a well-known very old fellow died of the heat.

I guess that is another problem.  It might not have been reported in every paper.  I chose the Post because I knew that the Globe wasn't as big back then.  But maybe one would want the paper that didn't carry their advertising or something.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 03:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure there was no obituary.  I've heard he could read Irish but not English.  On the census he was illiterate.

The Boston Globe
Boston, Massachusetts
03 May 1909, Mon  -  Page 14

Death Notice: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/42319522/thomas_j_oconnordeath_notice/

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 03:53 GMT (UK) »
RJ137,

Well, I'll be darned!  Thanks, for finding that!