Author Topic: Looking for lost children.  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for lost children.
« on: Tuesday 14 January 20 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Even before I post this request I think I know the answer.

In 1911 Ada E(mma) White, age 36, widow, born Dovercourt,  was living in Portsmouth. She  stated that she had had 7 live births,  3 of whom had died, leaving 4 still alive. Her entry was deleted because at that time she was not married.

I have full details of the survivors but would like to find about the other three, who presumably died at an early age and between censuses. She has a reputation within the family of having a large number of children (14?) some of whom were surrendered to Dr Barnardo's because she was not able to manage them. Two of the survivors  were sent to Canada as Home Children.

She was born Ward, was known as White 1890-94/5. As Hayman 1895/6 -1905, then reverted to White until about 1915 when she became Dedman. Most of her life events, and many of those of her children, occured between the Portsmouth area and  the Gillingham/Chatham/Medway area of Kent.

Can anyone suggest a method of searching for the missing three children that does not involve cross referencing every potentially relevant birth/ death entry on GRO Index?

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for lost children.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 19:16 GMT (UK) »
To avoid anyone wasting their time, I know all about Jessie Ada White (1891), Violet Ada Bertha Hayman/White(1896),  Frederick Charles Hayman/ White (1898) and Ernest Edward Hayman (1905).

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Was she ever actually married or just "known as" those surnames?

5yr gap  1891-1896 and 7yrs 1898-1905  so look at infant deaths under the 3 surnames in the relevant area then match up births and check mmn on GRO online

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 22:24 GMT (UK) »
She married William Jesse White. Jun 1892. Medway, after birth of daughter Sep 1891 Medway.

White probably deserted her circa Oct 1894 when he deserted Navy to rejoin Army.

Married William Henry Hayman Portsmouth. Dec1901 after birth of two children in 1896 and 1898.

Hayman married for 2nd time  May 1905, before birth of Ernest, 3rd child with Ada, in Aug 1905.

Known as White 1905-1911.

Known as Dedman in 1915, living Gillingham. First Mrs Dedman died Sep 1914 Portsmouth, but husband and wife registered at different addresses in 1911.

Interesting birth ( although obviously not included in 1911 numbers) Alfred Leonard White. Mar 1912 Medway. Mmn Ward.

Both Hayman and White in Navy, and presumably away from home for extended periods

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 22:43 GMT (UK) »
You are only interested in births/deaths pre 1911 so you need to look at White/Hayman deaths then match them with births as outlined

If she married Hayman in Dec 1901 and she was still alive in 1911 how did Hayman re-marry in 1905?  Was he a bigamist?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hayman is my person of interest. In 1905 he was described as a bachelor and for ten years or more I gave it no further thought until a couple of years ago I was contacted by the grand daughter of Frederick Charles and that opened up a whole can of worms!