Author Topic: Andrew Carmichael  (Read 785 times)

Offline Madge2004

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Carmichael
« on: Tuesday 14 January 20 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Im looking for help in locating the parents/siblings of Andrew Carmichael, he was born in either 1901 or 1902. He died on 5th Nov 1963. He apparently played for both Hull Kr & Hull FC back in the 1920's/1930's.

Thank you

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Carmichael
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for him on the 1911 census and the 1939 register or used Google

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Carmichael

Check for a birth using www.freebmd.org.uk

Only one possible match on the 1911 which you can find using www.familysearch.org
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Madge2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the wiki link, good info about his rugby career but no personal info. Iv tried to google him but nothing. Iv also looked at the 1939 register but with no info to cross reference with im unsure.
I found his name today in a Hull Kr book today.
His uncle Alfred Carmichael played for them too, Im assuming that Andrew's dad is a brother of Alfred but I have no other info.

???

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Both his birth reg and the 1911 entry are online as mentioned in my first reply.  The 1939 entry confirms his full time occupation as shown in the article.  There is only one possible 1911 entry and only one possible 1939 entry so you should not have any problems

When you say "personal info" you presumably mean his parentage and his wife/family?  If so you can easily find it using the 1911 and 1939

Is he related to you?

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 January 20 09:11 GMT (UK) »
He was a Boxer & a Rugby Player as these newspaper entries show:
Hull Daily Mail - Tuesday 16 November 1926
ANDREW CARMICHAEL OUTPOINTED The concluding fight was that scheduled to go 15 rounds (2 minutes) between Andrew Carmichael, of Hull Kingston Rovers, and Percy Calladine, of Mexborough. Mr Harry Dorsey was the referee, and Mr Harry Wilson, of Cleethorpes, the timekeeper. Carmichael appeared to have slightly the weight advantage. The first two rounds were more or less meles, then in the third Carmichael, with a right swing to the chin, shook Caladine, and then appeared to push him to the floor. Calladine stayed down for eight. Both men were warned for holding. Carmichael was boxing on improved lines, and during the following few rounds landed punches to. the face with either hand. Calladine knew more about boxing, however, and was quick with his countering blows. Round nine opened with a whirlwind rush by Carmichael, but there was too much using of the head, and holding for the match to be really clean. The men stayed the distance, and Calladine was the winner on points.

Leeds Mercury - Tuesday 30 June 1936
HULL LOSE BATEMAN AND ANDREW CARMICHAEL. At the annual meeting of Hull Football Club last night, Mr. G. W. Miller, chairman of the directors, stated that the balance sheet showed a profit of £2,461. He paid tribute to the performance of the team in winning the Rugby League championship and the Yorkshire Rugby League Cup. York, he said, had the distinction of being the only team to beat them twice. On a third meeting which was for charity they raised the sum of £174 for the City of Hull Great War Trust. Two of their players were retiring this year. Bateman, threequarter, who would act in future as player-coach with the "A " team, and Andrew Carmichael, forward.

Tom

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 January 20 13:03 GMT (UK) »
His father was a Thomas bc.1868 Hull but cannot see that Thomas had any brother named Alfred.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 January 20 16:29 GMT (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU