Author Topic: Catherine MEEHAN arrival etc  (Read 908 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine MEEHAN arrival etc
« on: Wednesday 15 January 20 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Hoping for some assistance please. I have undertaken very little research in the USA so not sure about sites etc thus posting.

Catherine DUFFY nee MEEHAN died in Queensland Australia in 1907. 

Based on her death certificate and information contained in that death certificate I am attempting to piece together Catherine's travels and dates such as arrival in the USA from Ireland and departure from the USA for Australia.  Date of marriage and  birth of any children.  In addition did Catherine travel with any other family to the USA? 

Catherine arrived in Australia around 1874 although as yet I cannot locate her nor her son's arrival.  Just located her arrival with her surname spelled as DUFFEY.  Her husband also migrated at the same time as did her son John.  It seems they moved form the USA to London and then onwards to Queensland Australia on board the Indus. 

Catherine was born about 1821 in what I think was Cloonlara, Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo, Ireland.  Her parents were Matthias MEEHAN & Catherine FINNIGAN.

I don't know when Catherine MEEHAN migrated to the USA.  She married William DUFFY/DUFFEY in America when she was 33 years of age making a possible date of marriage as 1854 and thus a date of arrival in the USA maybe late 1840's early 1850s.

Catherine and William DUFFY/DUFFEY had at least 8 children of whom only one survived Catherine.  His name was John Patrick DUFFY/DUFFEY and he was 48 years old when Catherine passed in 1907 making his birth around 1859. 

It seems Catherine's husband predeceased her but what is unknown is if he too migrated to Australia.  Did she come to Australia because none of her children [bar John Patrick] nor her husband were living leaving her without family in the USA?

John Patrick DUFFY's died in Queensland Australia in 1916.  Did he migrate with his mother? EDIT - yes he did migrate with his parents aged 18. William was aged 38 and Catherine aged 39.

One of Catherine's brothers, Patrick migrated to Australia in 1884 however it seems  Catherine left Ireland well before her brother migrated.

To date that is all that I know of Catherine other than the fact she was Catholic.

Assistance will be gratefully received.

Westy 

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine MEEHAN arrival etc
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 08:35 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is the family in 1860 - in Chester, Pennsylvania. The ages of Catherine and John are about right.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXR2-NHJ

There is another family in 1860 in Philadelphia, but Catherine is a bit younger:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXT7-G8R

Do you know any of the siblings names?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Stay Safe Everyone..............
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Sadly there are very few passenger lists available for the time frame you require. 
Statewide registration of births and deaths began about 1906, for marriages and records prior to that date so you would really need to know the county.

There was a Civil War Draft Registration record for William Duffy in Chester Co. June 1863.  He was 35 years old.  Farmer. Born Ireland. This could be the same chap as maddy52 gave you on census 1860  ???

Family search has loads of  records which are free to search once you register.

Sandsra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Sandra & Maddy.

Unfortunately the only child that was alive when Catherine passed was their son John Patrick who was born around 1859. So no other names.

Its highly likely there will be a Matthias/Matthew, a Catherine and a William.  Maybe a Winifred and a Sarah??

Death certificates in Australia only record the living children and their ages.

For Catherine it stated her living son and then noted there were 4 Males and 3 Females who had died. 

I will see if I can locate the family as you have said.

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Could you please tell me the exact address in the 1860 Census for William and Kate please?

Westy

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Could you please tell me the exact address in the 1860 Census for William and Kate please?

Westy
The 1860 Census did not list exact addresses. But at the top of the page of that Chester County census in reply #1, it says they were living in Valley Township, and in the Coatesville Post Office area.

That will narrow it down a little. Coatesville is a city now:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coatesville,_Pennsylvania

on Google Maps
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ov8/

Also, look through the other Irish names on that census page and a few before and after, or all Coatesville if you feel like it. Are a lot of them from Mayo? are any of them in the extended family?

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. 

Unfortunately records are patchy at best for Ireland around that period of Catherine's birth; her year of birth was based on her stated age at death.

I don't know the rest of her siblings unfortunately and am only aware of Patrick, Catherine and Sarah.

Westy

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 13:12 GMT (UK) »
1870 Coatesvile, Chester PA
William Duffy, 40, male citizen over 21 years old
Catherine 40
John 12, born in PA
John Sweeney, 21, born in Ireland
Jeremiah Sweeney, 25, born in Ireland

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZG7-QF7

if this is her, she must have lost the children early or at birth. only John after at least 13 years of marriage.
Do the Sweeneys look familiar? Or they might just have been boarders.

--------
and ancestry has a William Duffy 35, of Coatesville, PA, subject to being drafted into military service in June 1863.
That doesn't mean he actually was a soldier, just subject to being called up. There might be a military record elsewhere.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. 

Unfortunately records are patchy at best for Ireland  ...
I don't know the rest of her siblings unfortunately and am only aware of Patrick, Catherine and Sarah.

Westy
Was it Swineford Catholic Parish? If so, only the 4 years, 1822-1826, are online at nli.ie, but it looks like the LDS have filmed 1822 onward. They might be available at a Family History Library near you, if you want to try that.

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0133&parish=Swineford

I have problems locating the right parish for a townland, so Swineford might be wrong. At any rate, take a look at John Grenham's site for the parish and see if some of the records are available somewhere else.