Author Topic: Missing Daughter  (Read 1469 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Daughter
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 January 20 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Jamjar, Thank you very much for all that information.

Having other people look at the information, and finding what is missed is the great thing about Rootschat. I try to reciprocate where possible.

Again, thank you.

AC

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 January 20 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Confused about Eliza

Birth recorded:
1091/1863                         RABONE Eliza A     Father: Stephen   Mother: Sarah  Place: Sydney
also
1735/1863 V18631735 56 ROBINS Eliza M A  Father: Stephen   Mother: Sarah
(V=Church record)
Both registered/born 6 May 1863

Did she actually marry at the age of 10!

1735/1863 V18631735 56 ROBINS Eliza M A m. 891/1873 MARR William George d. 16943/1921 MARR Eliza M A
Marriage notice has her as ‘fifth daughter’, 2nd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13324096

Jamjar
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 January 20 05:04 GMT (UK) »
NSWBDM may have made a transcription error. Her 1921 death notice has her age as 68, so born 1853.

3rd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article234930746

Rookwood METHODIST OLD 2C OC_ZONE A/#/153
Eliza M A MARR aged 68 1 Nov 1921

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 January 20 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Lady Di,  excellent question,  may I butt in, hope that's fine with AC  ;D  ;D

.... those Early Church Records ... the dates have not always been as reliable as they could be as the software driving them is errrr .... ummm.... not as good as it ought to be ... FUNDING issues of course. 

And, the actual civil registrations dates ... well,  umm.... these in the first decade or so after commencement of the process actually allowed parents to come along and register a baby or a child who could have been born outside of the then territory of NSW and the registrars/deputies were permitted to rely on the memory of the informants ... and of course it was NO CHARGE to register ...

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12980625 SMH 15 Feb 1856.  " Children may be registered upon solemn declaration of their parentage until they are eighteen months old, if not born in the colony..."  ...

Minimum age for females to marry was 12 years of age until the mid 1930s.  Of course, if not yet old enough to give consent themselves (ie of full age at 21) then they needed consent from a responsible adult ...

Here's a thread on the Resources board,  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=660501.0

;D  ;D  ;D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 January 20 05:37 GMT (UK) »
majm, you can butt in at any time with regards to NSW information. I am aware that you have a lot of off line information, which you are willing to share, so any assistance you can give, i am very willing to accept.

Lady Di, the information I have for Eliza is as follows:

Birth
Parents: Stephen and Sarah Robins
Abode: Sydney
Profession: Stone Mason. IR 1853/1735/56
(Volume 57, No 1735 Year 1853)
Wesleyan Methodist, Alexandria

Marriage:
The Sydney Morning Herald
Saturday 20 September 1873
Family Notices
MARRIAGES. 
 On the 6th instant, at the residence of the bride's parents, by the Rev. George Martin, WILLIAM GEORGE, eldest son of Captain WILLIAM MARR, to ELIZA MARY ANN, fifth daughter of Mr. STEPHEN ROBENS, of Union-street, Surry Hills.

So, on that information, she was 20 at the time of marriage.

AC

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 January 20 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Confirming some earlier details...

Elizabeth Malvina ROBBINS
Elizabeth Malvina, daughter of Stephen, a stonemason, and Sarah ROBBINS of Sussex Street was born 10 January 1842 and baptised 6 February 1842 by Rev Robert Allwood, C of E, St James Church.

Adeline Charlotte ROBINS
Adeline Charlotte, daughter of Stephen, a mason and Sarah ROBINS, of Surry Hills, was born 19 December 1843 and baptised 4 February 1844, by Rev Charles Kemp, C of E, St James Church

Re Stephen and Sarah RABONE parents in 1863 …
There was actually a Reverend Stephen RABONE who was a Wesleyan minister in Sydney in the 1860s…  he died in Sydney on 21 July 1872., however he was born in Staffordshire in 1811.  He and his wife arrived in Hobart in 1835.  Among his children was a son named Stephen who lived in Sydney and who had married in 1862, marriage registered Chippendale (as in Devonshire Street)  … his wife is named as Sobiah WILKES at NSW BDM online….   

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/70496070  Town & Country 27 July 1872.

ADD,  and of course Surry Hills and Chippendale are next door suburbs, and back before Central Railway Station was built, Devonshire Street was the street that connected both those suburbs at Belmore Park.   :)  So, the Rabone family in 1863 may have known the Robins family  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 January 20 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Jamjar, Thank you very much for all that information.

Having other people look at the information, and finding what is missed is the great thing about Rootschat. I try to reciprocate where possible.

Again, thank you.

AC

I’ve add to my post.  ;D

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 January 20 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Majm, when you give that information about Devonshire Street, you could very well be correct about the Robins and Rabone families.

I have an extract from the Christian Advocate and Wesleyan Record, where Stephen tell how he went to church, and was converted to Christianity. He later became one of the first missionaries for the Sydney City Mission.

Most of his life he lived in the Surry Hills area.

AC