Author Topic: In search of the mother of Dorothy J Marshall. Bosmere registration district  (Read 1486 times)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
I am hoping someone may be able to help us in our search for the mother of Dorothy J Marshall. She was born in the march quarter of 1930 in the Bosmere registration district and her mothers maiden name is Gale.
Her father was James Ernest Samuel Marshall who was born 1904 I believe in Winston, indeed we can search the family back in that area but nowhere can we find any record of the mother.
We really would like to get certificate but funds are very low at present   :'(  so were hoping some kind person may have access to the baptism records. or may be able to find a marriage which is eluding us
The only other mention of mothers surname is with the brother of Dorothy, who is  James Ernest Samuel born June quarter 1932 Dunmowe reg district which I believe is actually Essex. Mothers surname is given as Gale there too.
If anyone could help we would be very gratefull.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: In search of the mother of Dorothy J Marshall. Bosmere registration district
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 January 20 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you located the family on the 1939 register
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: In search of the mother of Dorothy J Marshall. Bosmere registration district
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 January 20 13:39 GMT (UK) »
James Ernest Samuel Marshall b 28.4.1904 died 1972 Surrey

Wife died 2005 Essex

You will find the family on the 1939 register in Hampshire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 January 20 13:51 GMT (UK) »
James Ernest Samuel MARSHALL age 23 married Florence Ethel WARD age 21 on 30 Apr 1927 at Catterick Camp.

Maybe he wasn't free to marry again(Miss Gale?),so they just lived together?

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 January 20 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone that is all very very interesting, no I hadn't found them on 1939 register, not actually sure what that is.
And with regards the marriage I did wonder if maybe there was another marriage involved, thank you everyone

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 January 20 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Info about the 1939 register- taken on 29th Sept 1939.

Scroll down the page to find out all about it.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/1939-register

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 January 20 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I think the wife in 1939 is probably Ellen Harriet Sarah GALE born Sept. qtr 1907 Alton.Hampshire.

Not seeing a marriage,though.

Maureen

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 January 20 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen I think you are spot on. I think I have them on the 1939 register, just going by address as cannot see actual record without paying there are 3 people living at Cain Cottage Land of Nod, Alton RD
Jame E Marshall born 1904
James E S Marshall born 1932
And Helen Marshall born 1907

No sign of daughter Dorothy J Marshall born 1930 though

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 January 20 16:17 GMT (UK) »
carol8353 thank you for all your help and suggestions you have gotten us on track