Author Topic: unexpected spellings  (Read 1088 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
unexpected spellings
« on: Friday 17 January 20 14:07 GMT (UK) »
This may be of some use to inexperienced researchers who have had problems locating distant ancestors. It's only in recent times that spelling has been regularised, and sometimes your forebears may be present in the records but "hiding" under a surname spelling you never thought of.

Sometimes local pronunciations may be a guide. Certainly, in Fife, the pronunciation of a name by local people may be nothing like its official spelling. In my native corner of the East Neuk, for example, the name Corstorphine has usually been pronounced Strauchan. Nothing to do with the completely separate name of Strachan!

And Cunningham, in my home town of Cellardyke, was always pronounced Kinny. My granny Jessie Cunningham was known as "Jess Kinny".  My mother, a native of Crail, just 4 miles to the east, told me once that the Cunninghams there were known as Kinnins.

That proved useful recently when I was trying to help a correspondent to trace her Cunningham ancestors in the parish of Ceres. We got back to William Cunningham who married Jane or Jean Colville in 1806, but who were his parents? I finally worked out that they were William "Cunnings" and Euphan Gourlay, who were married at Ceres in 1773. A bit more research turned up their children, Thomas(1774), David(1775), Agnes(1777), all registered as Cunnins or Cunnings, then John and Christian, twins (1781), Andrew(1783) and another John(1785), all registered as Cunningham!

What has happened, I think, is that a new clerk or minister has decided that the old spelling Cunnin(g)s is rather uncouth, and they've substituted the more acceptable Cunningham.

So don't despair if you can't find your distant ancestors under the modern spelling of the name. Try the Fuzzy Matching option on Scotlandspeople, and if you happen to know that there is an alternative local pronunciation of the name, try looking under that spelling.

Harry

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: unexpected spellings
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 January 20 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Not even the most liberal "fuzzy matching option" could get Strauchan out of Corstorphine.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 January 20 15:21 GMT (UK) »
No, it requires local knowledge! Byter for Boyter and Dog or Dug for Doig are maybe more recognisable.

Harry

Offline cunningp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Harry
Thanks for your post on the Gray's Hall thread. I'm replying on this thread as it seems more relevant to the topic.

I would be very interested in learning more about the family.

" William "Cunnings" and Euphan Gourlay, who were married at Ceres in 1773. A bit more research turned up their children, Thomas(1774), David(1775), Agnes(1777), all registered as Cunnins or Cunnings, then John and Christian, twins (1781), Andrew(1783) and another John(1785), all registered as Cunningham!"

Re the twins: they were triplets! John born 2.1.1781, Euphemia and Christian the next day, and all three baptised on the 7 Jan.

My connection to the family comes through William's second marriage (Euphan Gourlay died 1787) to Grace (Grizzel) Kinnear (Kinniard) (1791) and their son Thomas (1794)

Happy to pass on any information.

Peter

My connection

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 July 20 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, it looks as if you know as much as I do and a bit more. These are not my own ancestors and my only link to those Cunninghams is through my uncle-by-marriage Alex. Cunningham.

I can tell you that the Fifers were dab hands at mutilating surnames and making their own versions of them. In my home village of Cellardyke Cunningham was pronounced "Kinny", and my mother, who came from Crail just four miles away, told me that there the name was pronounced "Kinnans". Something similar seems to have been the pronunciation and spelling in Ceres.

Harry