Author Topic: Help with aged gravestones  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Essenchill

• RootsChat Member
  • Unknown subject from family photographs
    • View Profile
Help with aged gravestones
« on: Friday 17 January 20 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to identify the inscription on aged headstones and struggling.  I have taken the photos with an iPhone so have high quality images I can zoom into and also invert the colours with but neither of these methods are helping at the moment.  Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

The grave is for Edward Robert Elmhirst Duckering who died in 1948.

Thanks
MATSON - Hull, Yorkshire as starting point
HOWLETT - Hull, Yorkshire as starting point
HILTON - Hull, Yorkshire as starting point
KIRMAN - Hull, Yorkshire as a starting point
PURDON - Hull, Yorkshire as a starting point

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with aged gravestones
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 January 20 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I see from the long shadows that you have taken that you DID take them early or late in the day, which is recommended, but ideally you take them when the sun is obliquely on the inscription  - so take them the opposite end of the day to your past visit.

Does this gravestone have the inscription engraved into the surface or does it stand proud]?.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 January 20 20:42 GMT (UK) »
If you can't get there at the right time of day, one trick is to reflect sunlight across the stone with a mirror, or use a powerful torch or flash. I once achieved spectacular results with a torch at dusk on an engraved stone which was totally unreadable in daylight. I don't know whether I started a ghost scare among people passing the churchyard!
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Essenchill

• RootsChat Member
  • Unknown subject from family photographs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 January 20 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Josey and Chris for both your ideas and suggestions, I will try again at different times of the day.  I hadn’t thought about the torch option at all! 

I think the wording was inscribed, however the top two lines do appear to have weathered by causing their own “extended shadows” downwards which almost suggests lead lettering or other embossing.

Thanks again for your help.
MATSON - Hull, Yorkshire as starting point
HOWLETT - Hull, Yorkshire as starting point
HILTON - Hull, Yorkshire as starting point
KIRMAN - Hull, Yorkshire as a starting point
PURDON - Hull, Yorkshire as a starting point

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 January 20 08:09 GMT (UK) »
I see from the long shadows that you have taken that you DID take them early or late in the day, which is recommended, but ideally you take them when the sun is obliquely on the inscription  - so take them the opposite end of the day to your past visit.

Does this gravestone have the inscription engraved into the surface or does it stand proud]?.

Sorry but it the problem is the sun is behind the stone therefore the inscription is in the shade (look at the way the shadows fall slightly towards the front right of the pictures).
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 January 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there. Another option is thin baking foil. Wrap it around and secure it by 'scrunching' it up or sellotaping it to itself (i.e. the foil). Then use a finger and/or a cloth to rub gently over the inscription to basically make an impression of the letters. Then remove and read. Good luck with your research. Simon.
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 January 20 11:27 GMT (UK) »
when the sun is obliquely on the inscription

Sorry but it the problem is the sun is behind the stone therefore the inscription is in the shade (look at the way the shadows fall slightly towards the front right of the pictures).
Cheers
Guy
This what I was pointing out, though obviously not so directly or eloquently.....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON