Author Topic: GARBUTT cousins, Bilsdale.  (Read 2514 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GARBUTT cousins, Bilsdale.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Rosie and Snowqueen, but they have both been posted before.

How do we know definitely that Mary, single woman, was the daughter of John and Hannah?  Highly likely, but not yet shown that there is only one Mary.  Also, when does Martha become Martha Alice, or are we completely missing something?  Waiting to see the marriage certificate information.

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Because both Mary Hannah and Martha were born at the farm where John and Hannah farmed and they had a daughter Mary born 1845 who matches the age of mother Mary Garbutt.

Having studied the Bilsdale records for over 20 years there are often children registered/baptised in one name who then acquire another name.

Offline carrie-bob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,

no work today so I'm back on it, you have all been so busy and I cannot thank you enough. I have been reading through all your posts this morning and comparing it with the census information I had found. The baptism information is new to me and very interesting.

Is the answer then that Mary Hannah and Martha Alice could potentially be sisters and not cousins?! That could be so exciting..... I'm not going to get too carried away though...

Carrie, xx :)
Marshall, Bullough, Ellis, Armistead, Gilston, Ramsden, Foster, Galtress, Walton, Stainsby
Yorkshire area

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:02 GMT (UK) »
A bit of a puzzle on the 1939 Register? - next door to Martha Alice's son Percy Dennis?

removed

Offline carrie-bob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:12 GMT (UK) »
William Pettit and Robert Wilkinson Hearn are two of the children of Mary Hannah Garbutt. Her first husband was James Pettit who died 1895. Her second husband was Robert Wilkinson Hearn who died 1917.
Marshall, Bullough, Ellis, Armistead, Gilston, Ramsden, Foster, Galtress, Walton, Stainsby
Yorkshire area

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I have them but wondering why in 1939 she is Mary H Dennis

Offline carrie-bob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Another mystery?! I would have expected it to be Mary Hannah Hearn or Martha Alice Dennis not Mary Hannah Dennis. The birthdate on the 1939 census 25 Nov 1864 would fit more with Mary Hannah Hearn.
Checked my notes and I don't have the date of death for either George Dennis or Martha Alice Dennis. My mind is racing off in all directions, I hope Mary Hannah didn't marry George Dennis......
Yorkshire area

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:47 GMT (UK) »
George died I think 1936 and Martha Alice 1927.  Stranger things have happened but I checked and can't find a marriage between George Dennis and Mary Hannah Hearn. 

Offline carrie-bob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I found a marriage between Mary H Hearn and a Thomas Brent in 1922, then I found a marriage between Mary H Brent and a George Dennis in 1927. I hope I'm just clutching at straws and trying to make things for my crazy tneory, but could this be possible and Mary Hannah just likes getting married. Please tell me I'm crazy 😀
Yorkshire area