Author Topic: Help locating SUTTON children and possibly parents on 1881 census  (Read 571 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help locating SUTTON children and possibly parents on 1881 census
« on: Sunday 19 January 20 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find any of the following on 1881 census:

William Sutton b. 1850 Eton Bucks
Adah Sutton b. 1852 Bradfield Berkshire

Children - births all registered Windsor, Berkshire (possibly born Clewer, Berks)

Gertrude Mary Sutton b. 1877
Frances Alice Sutton b. 25 Nov 1879
William Sutton b. 1881

There is also an older sister Florence Eliza Sutton b. 1876 but I have found her with her paternal grandparents in Eton, Bucks.

Sadly Adah was admitted to an asylum in Sep 1881 and never recovered.  I have not seen her admission records but by 1897 she is listed as widow and when Florence married in 1902 her father is recorded as deceased but I have not been able to find a death record for William Sutton Snr.

William Sutton Jnr appears on later census returns as living with is Aunt Mary Sutton in Eton, he was killed in WW1.

Maybe the family had already been split up by the time of 1881 census so any help locating any of them would be very much appreciated as it may add some clues as to what led to this sad series of events.

Pinetree

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help locating SUTTON children and possibly parents on 1881 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 January 20 21:37 GMT (UK) »
The Windsor RD spans both Berks & Surrey.  Have you found them in later censuses?  What birthplaces were given?

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/districts.pl?r=60650728:8996&d=bmd_1578958416
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 January 20 21:51 GMT (UK) »
If it helps, on 1891 Frances Alice is recorded as Alice.  she and Gertrude are boarders together in Egham. Both b Windsor

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 January 20 21:53 GMT (UK) »
what else do you have on them - is it just 1881 you're after?

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 January 20 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  I wasn't sure whether to post on Berks or Bucks board - hadn't thought about Surrey as well  :).

Mabel, thank you for the Egham information.  It is mainly 1881 census I am after, I have a rough idea of what happened to the children later on in life and know where and when Adah died.  If it is the same Gertrude I think she may have also passed away in an institution in 1909.

I am beginning to think they may all have been in some sort of institution in 1881, and Frances and Gertrude were possibly boarded to Egham from there.  I know York workhouse used to board children out but during a later period than this.

The other mystery question I would like to solve is what happened to William Snr.

Thank you both for your interest.

Pinetree

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 January 20 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm it's the same Gertrude who ended up in an institution (sadly another asylum) - there are some Kensington & Chelsea workhouse admission registers which note next of kin as Mrs Sutton (aunt) of Brocker St, Windsor (1898) and mother Ada, lunatic asylum in Jan 1899.  She's then on the same authority's register of lunatics in asylums for 5 Oct 1899 to 8 Aug 1904, by which date is noted "adjudicated on Windsor"

I've found a record of the adjudication but it gives no more details than she was daughter of William and Ada, born on or around 10 Nov 1877 at 10 Elizabeth Terrace, Oxford Road, and that in 1904 she was in Banstead

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 January 20 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Mabel,

Thank you for the further information confirming what I feared for poor Gertrude. Adah was my 2xGr Aunt and all this started because I found an old photograph that I thought might be her and it is turning out to be one of those cases where each question answered raises half a dozen more.  Adah was first admitted to an asylum aged about 30 with dementia and was institutionalised for the rest of her life, almost 50 years.

Thanks again,

Pinetree