Author Topic: Lookup request - Peter TAYLOR and Margaret TAYLOR  (Read 1560 times)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request - Peter TAYLOR and Margaret TAYLOR
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »
If Margaret Taylor was still living in 1861 there must be a death certificate that I've not yet found! I noticed on other certificates the son Donald Taylor took the name Daniel Taylor, and was First Officer in the Merchant Navy. His own records show father Peter Taylor to have been a Merchant Navy seaman also. I've never been able to dig deeper than that, I wonder how widely travelled they were. I also wonder if seamen's records might even have a photograph of them somewhere. Don't know where to begin looking really. Margaret's death record will be essential to eliminate these other possible matches. Peter seems to be difficult too - his father is called Duncan Taylor, on the record, and one would expect the name to pass down?

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 16:34 GMT (UK) »
The other problem I have is why did Donald seem to change his name to Daniel, and where on Earth is he on the 1841 and 1851 censuses? Very bizarre indeed. Was he perhaps out with his dad at sea, learning the ropes?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Daniel & Donald are sometimes, but not always, interchangeable in Scotland.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I never knew that! So now I need to find a death for Margaret Taylor, and somehow work out how to find Navy records for Peter and Daniel?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 18:07 GMT (UK) »
If Margaret Taylor was still living in 1861 there must be a death certificate that I've not yet found
Yes. But you already know from Daniel's marriage certificate that she was dead by 1866, so you should only need to search 1861-1866.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 18:21 GMT (UK) »
It may be possible to find them on the Merchant Navy records on find my past, but there are a lot of Taylors with the names you mention but little detail on the search results, if you are lucky it might give birth year. It took me a while to find the Daniel I was after.

I cannot remember the year when crew on sea voyages were recorded on census returns, I think it was after 1851, some kind rootschatter will know.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 January 20 14:52 GMT (UK) »
On the issue of Margaret Taylor's death, there are a number of deaths in the Govan/Tradeston area of Glasgow between 1861-66.

There continues to be a problems with death indexes on SP where the age at death does not show on the index (it does on the original). So if you are searching by age, it will not show that way.

What makes it a little more difficult is that Margaret's maiden name and married name was Taylor. SP does not seem to let you search for entries with both surnames the same. Search just ingores the second surname which makes it very hard to identify more relevant entries with both surnames  :-\

Daniel married in the Calton area in 1866. Did he also give this area as his residence?

What happened with siblings Margaret and Edward? I think Edward shows in Wales in 1901.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 January 20 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmm.

A search for deaths of Margaret Taylor in Glasgow from 1861 to 1866 produces 30 results, of whom 13 have no indexed age.

Narrowing the search to those born 1810 plus or minus 10 years reduces the ones with ages to 3. All of these can be discounted by using their mothers' maiden surnames in the search.

The other surname of Margaret Taylor, 52, mother Montgomery, died Maryhill, is Sinclair
The other surname of Margaret Taylor, 65, mother McKinlay, died High Church, is Allan
The other surname of Margaret Taylor, 60, mother Alexander, died Hutchesontown, is Breckenridge

Of the 13 with no age indexed, five have middle names, and as far as we know the one we are looking for has no middle name.

That leaves eight possibles.

The other surname of Margaret Taylor, died 1862, Milton 644.7/99 is Ferguson
The other surname of Margaret Taylor, died 1862, Central, 644.1/1043 is also Ferguson
The other surname of Margaret Taylor, died 1865, Calton 644.4/758 is Mason
The other surname of Margaret Taylor, died 1865 Govan 646.1/61 is Kennedy

Margaret Taylor, died 1862, Anderston 644.8/573 has no other indexed surname
Margaret Taylor, died 1865, Calton 644.4/126  has no other indexed surname
Margaret Taylor, died 1865, Govan 646.1/302 has no other indexed surname
Margaret Taylor, died 1865, High Church 644.2/2278 has no other indexed surname

So that reduces the possibles to just four. Of course they may be children, or Margaret may not have died in Glasgow. So there's no guarantee that one of them is her. But at least you can be reasonably sure that she's not one of the other 26.

Unless she acquired a middle name in her old age, but it would only take minutes to check for other surnames of the five with middle names.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.