Author Topic: Death Cert Question and Conundrum  (Read 955 times)

Offline P.P.Power

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death Cert Question and Conundrum
« on: Tuesday 21 January 20 16:37 GMT (UK) »
The Death Certificate for my Great Great Grandfathers first spouse - Jane Haynes (nee Williams) shows cause of death as "Child Birth".
 Jane married in early April 1838 and passed in late July 1839. I can find no GRO index record for any obvious child birth/death during that period in the relevant county/district with matching mothers maiden name.
 Is it logical to assume that the certificate implies that Jane and child both died at the same time, i.e. at the time of child birth, or did only the mother die, either then or sometime following child birth, and the child survived, or is it going to be impossible to conclude the correct sequence of events. My GGGF remarried in late 1840. Unfortunately subsequent Census records show no indication of a surviving child from his first marriage, in his household.
 Any views on this conundrum and possible ways forward would be most welcome.

Offline Tanya 4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cert Question and Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Iím no expert at all but could it be possible that if the baby survived maybe it went to live with a female family member eg grandmother ect.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Possibilities of what could have happened

1. The child was born dead, in which case the birth would not be registered.
2. The child was born alive but died shortly afterwards. In this case the birth may have not been registered although it should have been. If it was registered it could be without a forename i.e. just the surname
3. The child was born alive and survived but was "adopted" by someone

What you could do as you cannot find a birth registration is look to see if there was a baptism for a child. This may be difficult as the records may not be online in which case you would need to go to an archive, centre that had copies of them.

Similarly you could look at the parish records to see if there was a burial for a child, again as with the baptism this may not be online
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Almost certainly the child must have died at or before birth. Probably if it never had any life it would merely have been buried enclosed in its dead mother's arms. Sadly, that happened so often that it seems to be rarely remarked upon.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I think a stillbirth is highly likely given that you can't find a birth record or, if you can find burial records for the date and place of death for the Mother, as mentioned, the entry may just say eg. "Male or Female Haynes"
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline P.P.Power

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all for your views and suggested lines of enquiry. I'll proceed along those lines. Here's hoping. :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 20 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Possibilities of what could have happened

1. The child was born dead, in which case the birth would not be registered.
2. The child was born alive but died shortly afterwards. In this case the birth may have not been registered although it should have been. If it was registered it could be without a forename i.e. just the surname
3. The child was born alive and survived but was "adopted" by someone

What you could do as you cannot find a birth registration is look to see if there was a baptism for a child. This may be difficult as the records may not be online in which case you would need to go to an archive, centre that had copies of them.

Similarly you could look at the parish records to see if there was a burial for a child, again as with the baptism this may not be online

4, There is the possibility that the child was never born. Both mother and babe buried as one.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley