Author Topic: Trimley St Mary burial - CADE  (Read 503 times)

Offline SarahMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trimley St Mary burial - CADE
« on: Wednesday 22 January 20 02:29 GMT (UK) »
The Church of England clergy database lists a Clovis or Thomas Cade as Rector at Trimley St Mary.  They state he died there in 1667.  I'm trying to find out if there is any record of this there.

Thanks!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trimley St Mary burial - CADE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Is CADE or CLOVIS his surname? Or .... is he Clovis Cade, or Thomas Cade?

SRO have burials for that year according to this:
https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB173_FC49

They may be able to help you.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Trimley rector Thomas Cade was buried at Ipswich St Margaret on 20 Nov. 1666 (not 1667) according to the Suffolk Family History Society's burial index.

He may be the man whose estate was administered under the authority of the Norwich Consistory Court (NROCAT) in 1666.

Cade's forename is Thomas in three of his four records in the clergy database. The other one (Drovis, not Clovis) looks like an error, possibly due in part to his title, being a Doctor of Laws. He is mentioned in the diary of the Revd John Rhodes, published in an article written by Edgar Powell in 1916 for the 1915 Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology ... (vol. XV part 3 p. 279):

"Dr. Cade legum Doctor from my Lady Villiers, November 29, 1665, presented to Trimley a Rectory in Suffolk, by the Lo. Chancellor Hide [Hyde]. His Parsonage near Harrage [Harwich?]. He went from us Nov. 30 upon St. Andrew's Day, 1665."

Powell's footnote cites a Patent Roll, stating that Thomas Cade LL.D. was rector of Trimley St Martin (although the clergy database refers to Trimley St Mary).

David

Offline SarahMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that!  And the additional information!  Confirms what I know and gives me some new leads!

Sarah