Author Topic: Winster parish records  (Read 834 times)

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winster parish records
« on: Wednesday 22 January 20 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone has access to the following registers.
I would like a copy of the actual page of Bap. for Thomas Broomhead Chr. 4 Mar 1798 at St. John the Baptist Church Winster.
I had looked the record up many years ago when I use to visit the local LDS but for some reason I never ordered the actual film to get a copy of the register.
The other record if there is one is the marriage of Thomas parents.
His parents were Thomas Broomhead he married Elizabeth unknown. They may have marriage circa 1780 or later.
I do know that Thomas and Elizabeth are both buried at the same church.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Sue

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Winster parish records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 20:50 GMT (UK) »
The Winster parish register films on familysearch are still only on film - you can't see them on-line yet. They stopped being able to order films to view at an LDS centre a couple of years ago.
(they were supposed to have digitised all films by 2020..............  :) )
You could always ask for an image of the page from Derbyshire Record Office. Not too expensive I shouldn't think.

No marriage for a Thomas Broomhead to an Elizabeth in Derbyshire around the right time on familysearch or freereg.

A Thomas Broomhead married an Elizabeth Devine 15th Sept 1799 at the Collegiate Church Manchester.
This is viewable on familysearch, but there is no more information on the image.
It looks as if this might have been a 'marrying church' - there are at least half a dozen marriages nearly every day. Perhaps they asked less questions than your local church, and it would be unlikely there would be anybody there who would know you!

I have a couple from Derbyshire who got married at St Clement Danes in London. Luckily it gives the name of the Derbyshire parish they came from in the marriage entry. I still have no idea why they should go all the way to London to get married!

A quick search for Devine in Derbyshire brings up very little. Familysearch is good for giving you variations of the name.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I've just gone back to look at the other thread about the Broomheads
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=316751.0

I see later marriages were also at Manchester Cathedral - could be a clue......or not!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 22:15 GMT (UK) »

I would like a copy of the actual page of Bap. for Thomas Broomhead Chr. 4 Mar 1798 at St. John the Baptist Church Winster.
I had looked the record up many years ago when I use to visit the local LDS but for some reason I never ordered the actual film to get a copy of the register

Bromhead Thomas of Thomas & wife
bapt 4 Mar 1798 Winster, Derbyshire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 January 20 00:57 GMT (UK) »

I had looked the record up many years ago when I use to visit the local LDS but for some reason I never ordered the actual film to get a copy of the register

Bromhead Thomas of Thomas & wife
bapt 4 Mar 1798 Winster, Derbyshire

Thank you for that. Will pop down to our local library and get a copy. They have Ancestry might as well see if they have anything else.
Regards
Sue

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 January 20 00:59 GMT (UK) »
I've just gone back to look at the other thread about the Broomheads
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=316751.0

I see later marriages were also at Manchester Cathedral - could be a clue......or not!

Thank you for the reply.
Have seen Joan's queries. Seems she helps others with their research. Asks for help once she has the info. leaves the forum. I did leave her message asking to get in touch but doubt she will read my query but was worth a try.
Cheers
Sue

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 January 20 01:17 GMT (UK) »
The Winster parish register films on familysearch are still only on film - you can't see them on-line yet. They stopped being able to order films to view at an LDS centre a couple of years ago.
(they were supposed to have digitised all films by 2020..............  :) )
You could always ask for an image of the page from Derbyshire Record Office. Not too expensive I shouldn't think.

No marriage for a Thomas Broomhead to an Elizabeth in Derbyshire around the right time on familysearch or freereg.

A Thomas Broomhead married an Elizabeth Devine 15th Sept 1799 at the Collegiate Church Manchester.
This is viewable on familysearch, but there is no more information on the image.
It looks as if this might have been a 'marrying church' - there are at least half a dozen marriages nearly every day. Perhaps they asked less questions than your local church, and it would be unlikely there would be anybody there who would know you!

I have a couple from Derbyshire who got married at St Clement Danes in London. Luckily it gives the name of the Derbyshire parish they came from in the marriage entry. I still have no idea why they should go all the way to London to get married!

A quick search for Devine in Derbyshire brings up very little. Familysearch is good for giving you variations of the name.
Thank you for your help.
The Thomas and Elizabeth marriage could be possible though may not be likely.
Thomas and Elizabeth had their children all Chr. in St. John the Baptist Church Winster.
Ellen Chr. 17 Aug 1792, died Feb, 1797, Thomas Chr. 6 Jul 1795 died May 1796 then my Thomas Chr. 4 Mar 1798 died 1840 Manchester.
then another Ellen Chr. 26 Jun 1803 died 19 Sep 1893. She married John Wright 1827. She is buried at the same church.
There may be other children but have not been able to locate any others or have found other children but not able to confirm the details one way or the other.
I have accepted that I most likely will never complete all the information. Most of my direct lines stop around the 1700's with the exception of my Peters family in Bath that line does go back a little further.
Thank you again for your help
regards
Sue

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 January 20 07:11 GMT (UK) »
I put this on your other thread:

I assume you have the marriage entry:

Manchester Cathedral - 22 January 1871- by Banns

Thomas William Broomhead, 20, bachelor, India Rubber Spreader.  Father:  Thomas, Warehouseman.
Martha Ashton, 19, spinster.  Father:  Thomas, Plasterer.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 January 20 08:06 GMT (UK) »
I put this on your other thread:

I assume you have the marriage entry:

Manchester Cathedral - 22 January 1871- by Banns

Thomas William Broomhead, 20, bachelor, India Rubber Spreader.  Father:  Thomas, Warehouseman.
Martha Ashton, 19, spinster.  Father:  Thomas, Plasterer.
Hi,
Yes I have the details. That Thomas was the son of my great grandfathers brother another Thomas. We would connect through my gg grandfather yet another Thomas.
Many thanks
Sue