Author Topic: DNA connections  (Read 502 times)

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA connections
« on: Wednesday 22 January 20 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I am on Ancestry and did a DNA test a couple of years ago but I don't feel that I understand it as fully as I could or should. Can anyone just explain this to me please - I have a result of someone said to be 2nd -3rd cousin but we cannot find the connection. I have 1st cousins who have also been tested and through this have worked out that the unknown connection must be on my father's line. When I look at her tree details the names shown there that we have in common are on my father line. So this must mean that Ancestry know that our connection is on that line as we also have surnames in common on my mum's side but they are not listed. Is this likely?

Towdlass
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA connections
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Start by putting the number of cM into the shared cM tool to see the possible relationships with their probabilities.
https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Carclyn and I did have a look at it but I'm sorry to say that I need it explained in a way that I can understand. This is just confusing to me. I am sorry.

Towdlass
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 20 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is a useful article that may help explain

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/wedding18.htm#Masterclass

Gadget

Added - Ancestry have changed some of the facilities/tools and layout since this  article was written but I think it should all make sense.

Add2 - the article about the Australian Bureaucrat is a separate article  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 January 20 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Try some of the videos on youtube by Crista Cowan of AncestryDNA. They explain how to get the best out of your results.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn