Author Topic: 154 cM Match  (Read 1676 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 154 cM Match
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 January 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
In that case, Kaybron, likely to be 2nd cousin, not half or removed, I think.

Half 2nd cousin would be descended from your great grandfather or your great grandmother, not both, i.e. your grandfather's half brother (possibly somebody you don't know about as yet). Is this likely?

Full 2nd cousin would be descended from the couple, your great grandparents.

Given the figures and relationships described, there is nothing to suggest half relationship, though it is not excluded.
You say you have two candidates already, 2 great uncles, are there any living descendants?

They would be the best people to test.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 January 20 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes there are living descendants.  A son of one of the great uncles and a daughter of the other great uncle.  I am not sure how I would go asking them to take a test.  I understand this would be a good way to help work things out.  I recently emailed both of them as I touch base with them every so often and update on births and deaths in my family and any other family history information.  They both live in England and I live in Australia.  I did tell them about my husband's recent discovery of a half brother through an Ancestry DNA test, something that was a huge surprise for him.  There was no intention of asking them to do a test, simply to let them know of something quite remarkable that happened with my husband's family, a situation that has been extremely positive on both sides. One has replied to my email and nothing was mentioned about DNA, the other has not replied to my email.  Not sure if he still has the same email, perhaps he may be not well.

I do know that the 154 cM match, his mother Mary does not know who her father was.  Mary and all of my father's family lived in close proximity to one another.  Mary's birth certificate gives a father's name but this is not her real father according to her son.  In the 1911 Census, the father named on the birth certificate was living at an address where my grandfather and my great uncle were living.

It is possible that my grandfather does have a half brother and I do not know about this yet.  Anything is possible.

Regards Kaybron

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 January 20 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Kaybron, You can only ask.

I recently found through DNA a previously unknown 1st cousin once removed, the implication being that his father was a full cousin.

His father did not know either of his parents as a child, brought up in the care system.

This has still not been satisfactorily concluded, but I did ask a cousin who I have never seen as an adult, to have DNA testing, as it appeared likely that his father was my match's grandfather.
It turned out most likely not to be the case. I was hesitant to ask him, but thought both my cousin and my match had the right to know. Luckily he agreed.

A bonus of this is that I have extra information by having a cousin tested.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 January 20 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you sugarfizzle.  I will see if both are willing to complete a test.  Both are interested in family history.  One in particular has written 2 books on our family and had them published.  He has been involved in traditional methods of research for over 40 years and may be open to use new technology to assist in solving mysteries.  I can only ask.

I will keep investigating some of the avenues you have suggested.  I am in touch with the person who manages Mary's son's tree and DNA results and we are working together to try and establish our connection.

Regards Kaybron