Author Topic: 1917  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1917
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 February 20 02:09 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't agree more RTL, I think most children of that age could handle it. I would like to bet that there are more graphic killings and mutilations on X Box games.

I think the thing about computer games is children don't really associate the death and gore with real life, it is just a game, and blowing someone's head off is 'fun'. I've seen children who have no qualms about graphic games completely break down when faced with real blood, even from quite minor injuries.

I went to see the film yesterday (Saturday) so it is still fresh in my mind. I do think some under 15's would cope with it, but it would need to be with very careful parental guidance.

At the end of the viewing there were adults leaving the cinema in tears. And total and utter silence in the auditorium and on the way out, unlike the chatter you normally get at the end of a film. People on both sides of me were also jumping in shock fairly frequently, so it was quite an immersive experience.

I remember how shocking the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan were the first time I watched it. I didn't think I'd ever watch another film with such impact. 1917 certainly equals Private Ryan, and perhaps surpasses it because it takes time to build up to the most dramatic scenes and in that time we start to get to know the characters.

The casualties in the early scenes of Private Ryan were largely anonymous so there was less connection with them. Which I guess is why children can play those computer games without flinching.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 February 20 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Seven well earned BAFTA Awards  8) Very well deserved.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 February 20 01:51 GMT (UK) »
I have not seen the film but your talk about it reminded me of a letter I have read about Paschendaele.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/files/documents/passchendaele-letter-len-hart.pdf

My cousin was killed there and I found the letter whilst researching his service and death.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 February 20 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I have not seen the film but your talk about it reminded me of a letter I have read about Paschendaele.

My cousin was killed there and I found the letter whilst researching his service and death.

oh dear.  Thank you so much for posting, I am reduced to tears of sympathy, anger and despair.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 February 20 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Igor, I don’t know what to say ,especially about the last part.
I have heard of that or a similar incident but not in such detail.
And to think that Passchaendaele was a diversionary battle to relieve the French.
I have a book “ They Called it Passchaendaele”some heartbreaking photographs and accounts.
Thanks for posting it.
Viktoria.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 February 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Cannot understand film makers. Aeroplane flying straight, pilot sees enemy soldiers below. Opens fire on said soldiers. Soldiers run straight and directly away but still in path of bullets being fired at them. What happened to "lets run at 90 degrees from the path of the aircraft". Ever so slightly less chance of being hit by afore said bullets.

It's the same as car chases involving pedestrians. Lets run in front of the car that's trying to kill us.  :P :P :P

Malky

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 February 20 16:10 GMT (UK) »

What a powerful and thought provoking letter  :'( :'(
I defy anyone to read that letter without feeling sadness and anger in equal measures.

Thanks for posting.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU