Author Topic: San Francisco Probate 1937  (Read 651 times)

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
San Francisco Probate 1937
« on: Thursday 23 January 20 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have a probate case number for my gg grandmother, Florence Ada Adamson who died in St Helena's Sanitarium, Napa in 1937, but she was living with her husband Robert at 811 Turk Street. How do I go about ordering a copy of the probate if I live in the UK? I have looked at the County Clerks office and the searching/ordering process isn't so easy for a non US resident. I have also tried familysearch but her year and case doesn't seem to be on there, apart from a record of the case number. Are there other ways to find a copy?

Many thanks,

MJ

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco Probate 1937
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 January 20 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I think wills always go through probate court, unless you have found out otherwise in this case.

San Francisco County Probate Court
https://www.sfsuperiorcourt.org/divisions/probate

their online services:
https://www.sfsuperiorcourt.org/node/10

"Search Civil Cases by case number or by last name, first name
On this site, you can look up Unlimited/Limited Civil, Family Law, Probate, and Small Claims cases by case number or by case name for cases filed from 1987 to present. For all other cases contact those court departments directly. "

which goes to this link called "access now"
https://webapps.sftc.org/ci/CaseInfo.dll

I didn't have the case number to look up.

---------
But eventually you will have to order the records from them or find someone in the US to do it for you. You might find a commercial service to do it. There are ones that are nearly scams that will get a birth or death record, when you could do it yourself more cheaply through the correct government department. So there might be one that will fetch probate records.

-----
She died in a different county, but it sounds like you know the probate case was filed where her husband lived. I don't know the procedure myself.

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 20 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this info. The case number is 75219 - Florence Ada Adamson.

I think I may need to go through a researcher in the US. But will have a look at the websites you provided.

Thank you

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 January 20 19:46 GMT (UK) »
1-24-2020

Exactly what information were you hoping to receive from the probate file?  Maybe we can check some other sources to find that information for you.

You can contact them at (415) 551-3924 to ask any questions you may have.  They may look at the probate file you want to see how many pages are in it, and they can compile an estimate of the total fee due by you (including copy fee and postage fee--you will be asked to provide them with a postage prepaid envelope so they can send you the requested documents--Federal Express would be a good way to do that).

From my past experiences with them, they will require you to pay the fee in advance, by check.

If it were a check from an American customer that goes through a US bank, the probate office will ask an American customer to fill in the date and to sign the check and to leave the amount blank so they can write that in themselves, and the person ordering would be instructed to write the notation "Not to exceed $50.00" in the memo line. 

I'm not certain whether they will accept a check from outside of the US, so you will need to ask them about that.

If they do accept your form of payment, please be prepared to wait for about 2-4 weeks to receive your documents, since they receive a lot of orders to process.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 January 20 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Would this be worth an e-mail  - Raogk Volunteer on the list below - San Franciso Bay Area - Volunteer - LT

Types of Look ups Online Sources, Courthouse Documents, Cemetery Photos, Owned Books, State / Local Library, State / Local Society, State / Local Archive, Vital Records.

County/Region -California – San Francisco Bay Area

Brief Directory Description
Marin County/San Francisco/Sonoma County/Napa County/Sacramento – local libraries, State library, archives, Family History Library.

https://raogk.org/lookups/region/california/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 January 20 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all this information. I have managed to find the probate index file to see if there is in fact a will and then I will proceed from there.

MJ