Author Topic: Great-great grandfather's birth place  (Read 4851 times)

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great-great grandfather's birth place
« on: Thursday 23 January 20 17:45 GMT (UK) »
My two-times great grandfather (great-great grandfather) was William Villette born in 1859 in London and died in Gretton, Northamptonshire in 1934.

I've just found this from the 1911 Census. It says he was born in London on what looks like "Princees Street" - no such place exists or ever has, to my knowledge. Either this is a spelling error or it says either "Princes Street" or "Princess Street" and I just can't make it out due to the bad handwriting.

According to Google, if born in "Princes Street" then he'll have been born in Mayfair (which, considering he was a poor ironstone labourer I find very hard to imagine?) - or if born in "Princess Street", he would have been born in Brixton (I find this much more likely).

But what do you guys think? Does it say Princes or Princess?

And what is also very strange is, that his place of birth in the 1901 Census is given as "Gretton, Northants" (the village in which he lived). So, also, anyone have any idea why the change in 1911 to London? So weird  :-\

***The attachment was "too large" apparently so would not upload with my post  >:( So, if anyone has a findmypast.co.uk account (either with the free trial or as a paying member), then just type "William Villette" in the ancestor's search and you'll find it on the 1911 Census in Gretton, Northamptonshire. But be sure to click on the image as opposed to "view transcript"***

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Great-great grandfather's birth place
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 January 20 17:55 GMT (UK) »
1891 entry shows his birthplace as Gretton.  He only married in 1886 so have you found him on the 1861/71/81 censuses?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 20 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your speedy response. No, I haven't. I haven't found a site where I have been able to access those censuses without being forced to register a paying account.

But isn't that strange how his place of birth appears in at least both the 1891 and 1901 Censuses as Gretton but as London (with a specific street name, which I cannot make out) on the 1911 one?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 20 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 January 20 18:04 GMT (UK) »
A Rebecca Villette aged 71 died Uppingham 1901 per www.freebmd.org.uk

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 January 20 18:04 GMT (UK) »

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 January 20 18:06 GMT (UK) »
So his parents were wed in the St James area of Westminster (I had seen this before while doing my research). This suggests some kind of London link, but still...this is so confusing.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 January 20 18:07 GMT (UK) »
It may be an earlier one correct because that would be his parents given info. He may have put the earliest place he remembered or presumed that's where he was born because that's all he knew. That's if its the same person on the census.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 January 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
He may have been an infant when the family moved to Northants and may have only discovered his real birthplace after his mother died.  Mother was buried at Gretton and died 29.5.1901