Author Topic: Which Alice CHESHIRE?  (Read 475 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Which Alice CHESHIRE?
« on: Friday 24 January 20 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage in the Whittlesey area  in the 4th quarter of 1886 between Robert ANKER and Alice CHESHIRE. Subsequent census returns suggest that Alice was born in the area around 1864.

My curiosity is aroused as Robert Anker's mother was Elizabeth CHESHIRE born about 1824. Is there a relationship between Alice and Elizabeth?

The FreeBMD indexes list three Alice Cheshires born in Sep 1863; Mar 1864 and Sep 1865 in the Whittlesey registration area. Is it possible to determine which one married Robert and then who her father was?
Many thanks

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Alice CHESHIRE?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 January 20 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Born “in the area” - but in which town or village, according to the post-marriage censuses?

The births you are looking at seem to be these:

Alice Cheshire mmn Binder, Sep qtr 1863 Whittlesey
Alice Cheshire mmn Smith, Mar qtr 1864 Whittlesey
Alice Cheshire mmn Brown, Sep qtr 1865 Whittlesey - poss death aged 3, Dec qtr 1868 Whittlesey
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 January 20 10:47 GMT (UK) »
The 1891, 1891 and 1911 censuses all list her birth place as Whittlesey. The latter two have her living within the town

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 January 20 10:50 GMT (UK) »
All censuses show her b 1863-4 so she’ll presumably be a daughter of either the Cheshire-Binder marriage or the Cheshire-Smith marriage.

Robert Cheshire marr Elizabeth Binder, Dec qtr 1861 Whittlesey.  They are in Whittlesey in 1871 with a daughter Alice aged 8.

Thomas Cheshire marr Martha Smith Mar qtr 1859 Whittlesey. By 1871 Thomas is dead and Martha is head of household, daughter Alice, 7, with her.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 January 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Robert Cheshire to Elizabeth Binder seems hopeful. Would need then to see whether Robert Cheshire is related to the Elizabeth Cheshire who married James Anker in Whittlesey in 1842 and became the parents of Robert Anker who married Alice Cheshire.

If Robert and Elizabeth were brother and sister, that would make Robert and Alice first cousins.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 January 20 11:08 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though both Robert Cheshire and Thomas Cheshire were sons of William and Elizabeth Cheshire of Whittlesey (see the 1851 for this family together) so the two Alices b 1863-4 were first cousins of one another. The widowed Martha is living next door to William & Elizabeth in 1871.

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 January 20 12:28 GMT (UK) »
whittlesey st andrews bapt 5 th july 1863 alice, daughter of robert/elizabeth cheshire.Margaret.