Author Topic: Fosters in Coggeshall  (Read 351 times)

Offline peakoverload

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fosters in Coggeshall
« on: Friday 24 January 20 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I've hit a bit of a brick wall and wondering if anyone can find any information that I can't that might break it down.

So far I've traced my maternal line back to a John Foster born 17/11/1759 in Coggeshall. He along with most of his brothers, sisters, cousins, nephews and nieces were all baptised, married and buried in the church St Peter ad Vincula in Coggeshall.

John was one of 3 children born to a John and Susanna Foster:

John Foster b 01/11/1758 d Aug 1759
John Foster b 17/11/1759 d June 1828
Susanna Foster b March 1761

When looking for the parents John and Susanna I've assumed that they were around 21 years old when they married and that they married around 1758 and looked for a baptism for John the father c 1737 +/- 10 years and couldn't find anything in Coggeshall nor could I find a marriage in Coggeshall between a John and Susanna.

The mother Susanna does appear to die in Sept 1764 and was buried in St Peter ad Vincula on 24/09/1764. The parish register says 'The Wife of John Foster". Whether she died young or was older when she had her last child I don't know but on the same page of the register there is a John Foster who was buried 18/01/1765.Whether that was her husband or just another John Foster is unknown.

There is however a John Foster being buried in the same church on 03/11/1806

Can anyone else find a marriage for John and Susanna, a baptism for John or have a better idea of which, if any, burial is likely to be his?

If it's of any help, many of the Fosters were shoemakers/cordwainers around this time although I don't know if this was the case for either of the John Fosters mentioned here.

Johnson: London & Maidstone
Foster: Essex
Leach: London
Jennings, Camberwell, London
Gray: South London
Dashwood: London
Mason: Maidstone & London
Neville/Stiff: Hampshire & USA

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fosters in Coggeshall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 January 20 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Had a search in the Essex Parish Register Index on Ancestry.com 1748 to 1768 an Essex wide search and could not find that marriage no matter what surname variant I used.

I did find the following, all at Coggeshall:
John Foster bap 3 Dec 1758 parents John & Susannah.
John Foster bap 2 Dec 1759 parents John & Susannah.

John son of John Foster buried 13 Aug 1739.
John Foster senior buried 24 Feb 1761.
John Foster buried 18 Jan 1765.

Also found at Coggeshall was : William Foster married Elizabeth Armond 27 Sep 1742, that
was from the Coggeshall Museum online Transcripts, might prove useful to know at some point.
No sign of the John Foster to a Susannah marriage in those transcripts, I searched from the beginning of 1740 to the end of 1760.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 20 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I haven't found a Foster marriage or any other extra info apart from this :

A Will of Martha Barton, widow of G Coggeshall - dated 1759 where she bequeaths unto her cousin Susan Foster, the wife of John Foster of Gt Coggeshall, Clothier all her freehold (property).. in Back Street Great Coggeshall etc.

There are a lot of cousins and their children mentioned. The names might help build a bigger picture of this family.

Another point of interest was that the will starts "Be it remembered that I Martha Barton " rather than the usual start: "In the name of God Amen " I've seen a few Quaker wills starting this way.

Martha's husband, John Barton, died in 1759 as well.

The Barton family held property in Church Street GC - the same street where the Quakers held their meetings. I see also that some of the surnames in Martha's will were well known Quaker families. Obviously doesn't meant that the Fosters were Quakers but it's another line of enquiry.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 02:26 GMT (UK) »
A correction, apologies.

John son of John Foster buried Coggeshall 13 Aug 1759 not 1739.

Wondering if John and Susannah were married in another county, e.g. Suffolk.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peakoverload

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies. Interesting about the will of Martha Barton, I shall definitely look into that as I think I know who that Susan Foster is.

I *think* I've found the baptism for John although the marriage is still lost in time at the moment. I think he was baptised 12/05/1726 to parents John Foster and Christian Pennock and that his grandparents were John Foster and Susannah. This would mean he was 32 when he had his first child which is a little older than I would have expected but it's the only baptism that matches and there also isn't any other marriage to fit the baptisms. I dont think there is any way of knowing for certain but theres nothing else that even closely matches unless the records have been lost
Johnson: London & Maidstone
Foster: Essex
Leach: London
Jennings, Camberwell, London
Gray: South London
Dashwood: London
Mason: Maidstone & London
Neville/Stiff: Hampshire & USA