Author Topic: 1848 Belleek Marriage John Malcolm & Margaret Teevan - help with transcription  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: 1848 Belleek Marriage John Malcolm & Margaret Teevan - help with transcription
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 January 20 21:06 GMT (UK) »
So do you reckon Married when he joined?

It's in the same hand and not a date.

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1848 Belleek Marriage John Malcolm & Margaret Teevan - help with transcription
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 January 20 21:10 GMT (UK) »

Yes....but is the 1852 bit in same hand? same ink?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 January 20 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm and Malcom are just different versions of the same surname. A fairly common name in Co. Down. Ros Davies wonderful site lists John-
"born Co. Down; labourer ; a Protestant; aged 21, joined the Royal Irish Constabulary (service #4863 ) on 8 Feb 1842 1 ; posted to Co. Kildare then Co. Fermanagh; married a woman from Co. Fermanagh" with this as source- FHL # 856058 (Family Search)
http://rosdavies.com/SURNAMES/M/Mal.htm

Here's the full marriage certificate which gives his father as Robert, a farmer-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1848/09342/5382654.pdf

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1848 Belleek Marriage John Malcolm & Margret Teevan -help with transcription
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 January 20 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kiltaglassan.

Assuming John Malcolm was just residing at the police barracks, that doesn't tell me where he was actually from. Which makes it all the more important for me to access his Irish Police file which I gather usually provides the person's native County, age, period of service, and reason for resignation (I believe he and his wife went to Australia). Can anyone provide Police file look-ups?

How does the resignation year on the record tie in with information you have about them going to Oz?

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 January 20 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KG. [Sorry. On re-reading my post it looks like I was just asking you to post the other page, but really I was asking if that was possible - I thought perhaps your subscription site only scanned the first part. Didn't mean to be impolite and not say "please".]

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 January 20 22:17 GMT (UK) »
It seems these police records were also annotated with ongoing notes about the person's service. Check out the attached example (it also provides the Column Headings which are useful).

I haven't found any shipping record of the Malcolms going to Aus. There's a POSSIBLE - a John Malcolm, gold-digger, and his wife, living in a tent in German Gully, Fryer's Creek, Ballarat [The Argus, Melbourne, 15 Aug 1853]
Daughter Mary [her Death Cert gives her as born c1859 in Ballarat to parents John Malcolm, Soldier, & Margaret Tevan]. VIC BDM has her birth in Ballarat, Victoria in 1859 (registered as Mary Teeven, mother Margaret Teeven, no father recorded).

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 January 20 23:02 GMT (UK) »
With John Malcom of Co. Down having resigned on 17 Nov 1852, I've been able to narrow down my Vic shipping search, and found a John Malcolm, 33 [born c1820] and a Margaret Malcolm, 29 [c1824] aboard the "Confiance" (from Liverpool 8 Dec 1852 to Port Geelong 13 Apr 1853, 415 emigrants, quarantined until 3 Jun 1853. No other Malcolms/Malcoms aboard). A strong contender.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 January 20 23:34 GMT (UK) »

Yes a strong contender.

The spelling of surname at Marriage, same on Police record etc... I can't find another contender.

My Pretty Please to KG was me asking for record too as I wanted to look at other page, apologies if you misunderstood!