Author Topic: Polette Villette  (Read 4713 times)

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Polette Villette
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Why is the surname written sometimes Villet or Villette in the north ? It is written VILLET (as it is written in the south ) when they had to show a copy of their birth certificate  (for a marriage ).
It is written Villette when they did not have to show a copy of their birth certificate ( for the birth of a child ).

Joger, do you have any idea why he would have signed his marriage as "Politte" and not the full "Hyppolitte"? Is it just the whole no standardisation back then thing?

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if you had his signature somewhere. Since the beginning I thought Hippolyte could be his name and Politte his nickname, or a short version of his name. But you seemed to insist on Polette (very unprobable for a boy , I should say impossible ) or Politte (like the end of Hippolyte in French), still , after having found that Polite was a given  first name for boys ( very very rarely), I thought "why not".

In all the numerous registers I read I never saw a person using his nickname to sign .
So : there are 3 possibilities

- His name is really Hippolyte (or Hyppolite ), as written in his birth certificate, but he did not like it and he adopted  Politte (probably his nickname in the  family) in England

- His name is really Hippolyte but he adopted his nickname when he married to "cover his tracks"

- His parents gave him the name Polite but the civil servant wrote Hyppolite on the certificate (might have been slightly deaf, or might have insisted on writing Hyppolite because he did not know the name Polite (very very rare) and did not accept it , Hyppolite would have been a reasonable choice ).  In french Polite and Hippolyte sound the same.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if you had his signature somewhere.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=824693.msg6881045#msg6881045
(post no. 20) Signatures from the parish marriage register in 1858, Signed as 'Polette' Villette when he married Rebecca Hull

Boo

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I forgot that . It doesn't change anything for me though.
If one thinks he signed Polette the hypothesis of covering tracks is even stronger .
If one reads Politte the 3 hypothesis I made are still valid.

He was registered as Hyppolite at his birth , no doubt about that.

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Joger: the document showing his arrival to the UK in 1859 (it seems he did some back and forth between UK and France), shows that he signed as "Hyppolite". I've posted this image below. So yeah, it's an absolute fact that his birth name was "Hyppolite" (I mean, it's even on the slides you linked us up to :) )

Would be good to find the initial arrival to the UK from the Alien's entry records , but I don't have access to them.

Added: I thought someone further back in the thread had posted the original entry record details but not with an image - but now can't find the post.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I found the birth of a boy called Charles Camille  born  24 june 1852 in Montreuil, son of Charles and Aimée , 327 Grande Rue in Montreuil
http://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/console/ir_seriel_visu.php?SID=g56ibr0mjpsnudfaqmoh7m7tq7&id=241299880&l=2544&h=1321&titre=241299880
Slide 1048

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I found the birth of a boy called Charles Camille  born  24 june 1852 in Montreuil, son of Charles and Aimée , 327 Grande Rue in Montreuil
http://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/console/ir_seriel_visu.php?SID=g56ibr0mjpsnudfaqmoh7m7tq7&id=241299880&l=2544&h=1321&titre=241299880
Slide 1048

The 1891 Census has Camille as a "diamond mounter".

Joger - do the slides on Hyppolite have any more info about him, or is it strictly his birth and death details?

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Birth details

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 13:15 GMT (UK) »
You are genius, joger & as we say 'like a dog with a bone' - you never give up!!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON