Author Topic: Polette Villette  (Read 4715 times)

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Polette Villette
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
You are genius, joger & as we say 'like a dog with a bone' - you never give up!!

Agreed. Joger has been brilliant. But then, you all have.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 13:39 GMT (UK) »

- His parents gave him the name Polite but the civil servant wrote Hyppolite on the certificate (might have been slightly deaf, or might have insisted on writing Hyppolite because he did not know the name Polite (very very rare) and did not accept it , Hyppolite would have been a reasonable choice ).  In french Polite and Hippolyte sound the same.

Maybe he had to be given with the full version of the name rather than a nickname or shorten version to comply with Napolean's 1803 law restricting the names that could be given to babies to that of Saints name and names from ancient history. I assume that Hyppolite fell into the latter group!
Added: The law was eventually rescinded in 1993
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 19:57 GMT (UK) »
You are genius, joger & as we say 'like a dog with a bone' - you never give up!!

Thanks josey , yes I like this image , will try to find an "avatar" for it. avatar is what we call the image under the name in a forum , what do you call this ?

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 20:23 GMT (UK) »

Thanks josey , yes I like this image , will try to find an "avatar" for it. avatar is what we call the image under the name in a forum , what do you call this ?

We also call it an avatar :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I have been told by a better French speaker than me that you use the same expression 'préoccupé comme un chien avec un os' - is that true?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Thursday 30 January 20 09:12 GMT (UK) »
The appropriate expression is "comme un chien à son os".

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 30 January 20 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, thank you - I will add that to my knowledge of French idioms!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 30 January 20 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Found Marie Thérèse SERGENT's death certificate
http://archives.paris.fr/arkotheque/visionneuse/visionneuse.php?arko=YTo2OntzOjQ6ImRhdGUiO3M6MTA6IjIwMjAtMDEtMzAiO3M6MTA6InR5cGVfZm9uZHMiO3M6MTE6ImFya29fc2VyaWVsIjtzOjQ6InJlZjEiO2k6NTtzOjQ6InJlZjIiO2k6NDI1NTE7czoxNjoidmlzaW9ubmV1c2VfaHRtbCI7YjoxO3M6MjE6InZpc2lvbm5ldXNlX2h0bWxfbW9kZSI7czo0OiJwcm9kIjt9#uielem_move=0%2C0&uielem_islocked=0&uielem_zoom=37&uielem_brightness=0&uielem_contrast=0&uielem_isinverted=0&uielem_rotate=F

Slide 27
Unfortunately it is not the original , only the reconstucted one ( The registers od Paris burnt in a fire in the 19th century).

Parish St Etienne DU MONT  ( written after DECES), the St Etienne du MONT church is Place ste Geneviève , in the 5th Arrondissement.
See Charles Villette's fiche matricule , we already heard about this area.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Found Marie Françoise Philberte PRUNIER 's death 15 april 1808 in Montreuil, spouse of Jean François AUGIAS, daughter of the late Jean Marie PRUNIER and the late Marie Françoise RINGAT, 43 rue du Cachot( ?), "dans la ville basse ", in the lower town (of Montreuil).

http://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/console/ir_seriel_visu.php?SID=qkjld0sj6burba2rcv3r8d7870&id=241299933&l=2544&h=1321&titre=241299933&vue=683&_tc=1580833365682

slide 772

In the left  margin is written  marie  françoise philberte prunier femme augias .She was 55.