Author Topic: Polette Villette  (Read 7058 times)

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Polette Villette
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 January 20 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Could be Menton? Near Nice.
Near Italian border.

We seem now to have two threads so which one to reply to?

Also Polette could be Pallet? Lots of Pallet surnames in France.
Maybe a marriage between a male Villette and a female Pallet ? Wife's surname then used as first name for son?

All is possible.
Keep all possibilities in mind when searching.

Someone else said there is a record of a Polite Villette arriving to the UK from Italy in the 1850s. If he was from Menton near the border with Italy - this perhaps explains why the record shows him (if this is indeed him) as having arrived from Italy as opposed to France?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 January 20 12:40 GMT (UK) »
We seem now to have two threads so which one to reply to?
Sorry for any confusion. The original thread was about the birthplace of P*l*te [middle name William] Villette jnr ca 1859 on the beginners board, but after a while became more about the birthplace of P*l*te his father definitely in France, so I suggested a new thread was started on the Europe board as I thought there might be experts in French records [which you certainly seem to be] who would be more likely to notice the thread here. 
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 January 20 13:25 GMT (UK) »
His name was recorded as Polete at marriage, but he signed as below:

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 January 20 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes , it could be Menton, I go and search there.

Familysearch gives PW Villette aka Pullett William Villett born 1 feb 1858 (parents not married yet), christened 27 feb 1859 , one year later.
So PW Villette could  be found as PW Hull.
I asked if someone found him on Free BMD or GRO because I didn't  (nor Villette nor Hull), but maybe I did not the search correctly.

Hello Josey, glad to hear you too, don't hesitate to contact me if you think i could help on a thread . If the title is not clear about french origins , I don't read the posts.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 January 20 13:33 GMT (UK) »
His name was recorded as Polete at marriage, but he signed as below:

Well, I am not sure , I see a point above the O , which could be the misplaced point of the I in Polite . I don't read Polette . But it is not really  important because if we find him in France we will know his correct firstname and if we don't there are only two possibilities .

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 January 20 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Recorded name on his marriage:

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes , it could be Menton, I go and search there.

Familysearch gives PW Villette aka Pullett William Villett born 1 feb 1858 (parents not married yet), christened 27 feb 1859 , one year later.
So PW Villette could  be found as PW Hull.
I asked if someone found him on Free BMD or GRO because I didn't  (nor Villette nor Hull), but maybe I did not the search correctly.

Hello Josey, glad to hear you too, don't hesitate to contact me if you think i could help on a thread . If the title is not clear about french origins , I don't read the posts.

Hi joger, sorry for the title not containing a clear indication that the post would be France-related. That is entirely my fault.

Going by the image of the marriage record Chempat has posted, it looks like he signed as "Politte Villette" on his marriage to Rebecca Hull in 1858. So I think you are right that his name was "Polite" but spelt with doube "t" as opposed to one?

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:05 GMT (UK) »

And this looks like "Polete" and not "Politte" as appears on the other image we have. Why would this be so? I'm wondering if he was extremely illiterate? Then again, he was employed as a tailor, so how likely is it that a tailor would be illiterate in those days?

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:12 GMT (UK) »

Does this say "null" underneath age? If we had his age here, that would make researching records in France somewhat easier.