Author Topic: Polette Villette  (Read 7070 times)

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Polette Villette
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:30 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the second Meudon (near Vannes in Brittany)ad., The documents ae to be found in Vannes (on line ) , because the hamlet was part of Vannes. No Villettes , too bad.

Menton, is much bigger , many more acts , and unfortunately no names in the pargins , no capital letters for the names , I'll try to read as much as i can .I'll let you know.

Thank you, Joger. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Try the name hippolite as his first name.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Good to have that baptism entry chempat; and good stuff joger [and lola] who seems to be able to access French records. I think they will crack it.

OOOH, inspired, creasegirl.

ADDED: Just to add, joger, in case you hadn't seen it that we think P*l*t* may have had a brother Charles born ca 1821 - 23.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I have valets in my tree who lived in London but were swiss french from lausanne.  Dont think any relation to your villettes but I searched through lots of different spellings to discount people.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Good to have that baptism entry chempat; and good stuff joger [and lola] who seems to be able to access French records. I think they will crack it.

OOOH, inspired, creasegirl.

Fingers crossed, Josey. Yes, they have all been so helpful and shown so much kindness by devoting so much time to helping with this frustrating case. I value them being here very much.

What strikes me about the baptism of P William Villette is that he wasn't baptised until a year after his birth. So we now know from this baptism record posted by Chempat, that William Villette was born in 1858 and baptised a year later in 1859. I thought baptisms normally took place between a few days to a few weeks...maybe a couple months after birth at very most.

@Joger - I found the official handwritten 1911 Census record (an image which I downloaded) containing the birthplace of P William Villette (Polite and Rebecca's son) - Princess Street, London. It was on a free site, either FamilySearch or some other site, I don't remember exactly, as I have looked on so many of them.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:42 GMT (UK) »
This was posted on the other thread, for a more interesting birthplace:

Offline scottmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:47 GMT (UK) »
This was posted on the other thread, for a more interesting birthplace:

For me, the most interesting thing here is that this Charles Villette is said to be employed as a tailor. Polite Villette was also a tailor. If this Charles is the same Charles Villette who we think is probably the (older?) brother of Polite Villette, then this maybe suggests that they were a family of tailors or maybe it was a family business? Interesting that both were tailors.

Charles Villette (Senior?) - who is named as Polite Villette's father on his marriage to Rebecca Hull, is  said to have been a "labourer", however.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 26 January 20 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Could be Menton? Near Nice.
Near Italian border.

We seem now to have two threads so which one to reply to?

Also Polette could be Pallet? Lots of Pallet surnames in France.
Maybe a marriage between a male Villette and a female Pallet ? Wife's surname then used as first name for son?

All is possible.
Keep all possibilities in mind when searching.

Someone else said there is a record of a Polite Villette arriving to the UK from Italy in the 1850s. If he was from Menton near the border with Italy - this perhaps explains why the record shows him (if this is indeed him) as having arrived from Italy as opposed to France?

If Polite is from Menton, this area of France wasn't part of France until 1859 following the second Italian war of independence/Austro-Sardinian war following a Franco-Sardinian military alliance against Austria, which could explain why it shows him arriving from Italy?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 26 January 20 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Ah, very useful, Gan Yam thank you.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON