Author Topic: how to find a grave wales  (Read 2854 times)

Offline mrs.c.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
how to find a grave wales
« on: Saturday 25 January 20 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,can anyone help me find out where my family are buried in Llanwrtyd wells the cemetery is st.davids.There were 3 of them buried in the same grave,Enoch Roberts 1913,Rebecca Roberts 1915,
Hartley Roberts 1916.I cannot find out who the funeral director of that town would be at that time.I have been told by the vicar that the plot numbers have been lost but surely someone might have a copy somewhere where can I look?.any help would be appreciated.Janet.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: how to find a grave wales
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 January 20 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Are you familiar with Welshnewspapers online?

From various descriptions of the funerals in the newspapers (Rebecca Mar 1916?) and Hartley (Sep 1916) there has to be a headstone. The grave must be marked. Hartley's funeral description describes the breastplate on the coffin - I had hoped to find a mention of a headstone/monument.

Hartley's undertaker is named as Wm Williams, Myrtle House 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 January 20 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Enoch's undertaker was Samuel Williams, Nantyrhos.

Offline mrs.c.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 January 20 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your very quick reply i have the newspaper cuttings but it does not say which plot they are buried in.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 January 20 16:09 GMT (UK) »
It would be worth looking to see if there's a possibiliy that the graves might be laid out in date order or roughly date order, by looking for the burials immdeiately before and after Enoch's burial (if he was the first burial in the grave).

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 January 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Ideally, church burial plot records  save searching the whole graveyard - X marks the spot.. In the absence of burial plot records you have to rely on a headstone/monument and a trek around the site. The down side of this is that it is a complete waste of time if the grave is not marked. As one who has mapped several burial sites a large number of burials are left unmarked.

Checking the descriptions of the 3 people you mention, there is every chance a visit to the churchyard will pay dividends - and not turn out as a wasted journey. But, bottom line, there is no guarantee.

Offline mrs.c.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 January 20 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your very quick answers but it is not possible for me to go the graveyard as I live in Devon.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 January 20 16:42 GMT (UK) »
If the graveyard is not that large it can be worthwhile. I've had to resort to this even in graveyards where graves were meant to be marked with numbers.

The next burial immdediately after Enoch's was a Rees Price aged 29 on 27 Feb 1914, who had been living in London at the time of his death. In a newspaper obituary which describes details of his death and burial, it says Mrs Hartley Roberts was his sister.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 January 20 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Plot numbers exist up for what looks like start of rows and end in  with John Davies aged 62 on January 20th numbered 1863. Then there are no graves numbered until September 23rd 1927, which is R11. Later ones are marked "reserved" and some are marked as buried Tir Abad. Have you looked for any Grave inscriptions that may have been done by a Brecon Family History Soceity.