Author Topic: Additions to GRO marriage index  (Read 1914 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Additions to GRO marriage index
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 January 20 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I'd wondered that, or the marriage with the 1431 page ref. I'll look into the newspaper reports.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 January 20 17:00 GMT (UK) »
It was probably a church marriage. Copies of all marriages for the quarter were made by the clergy, and sent to the Superintendent Registrar to be forwarded to the General Register Office, along with the registrars' quarterly returns of births and deaths. In practice, some clergy were late sending in their copies (and in some cases they didn't send them at all). If they arrived after the rest of the quarterly returns had been collated into volumes, and already given page numbers, they could be inserted into the right place in the sequence, with page numbers ending in a (or b or c if there was more than one page of late returns from that church). These 'a' references often appear as write-ins at the bottom of the index page, but sometimes you can see them incorporated into the main index - this could happen happen if they arrived after the returns had been 'paged' but before the indexing was complete

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 January 20 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's what I suggested might well have happened   :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***