Author Topic: Dance Baptisms Barking St Margaret c1800  (Read 302 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dance Baptisms Barking St Margaret c1800
« on: Sunday 26 January 20 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If anyone has access to the baptisms of Barking St Margaret before 1813, would they do a quick lookup for me please?

I have a John and Mary Dance having children baptised in Barking between 1795 and 1814 and I have found most of them in various transcripts and have the following:

Hannah(1795), Daniel(1801), Sarah(1806), Francis(1809-09), John Benjamin(1810-72), Francis(1813-58), and Mary Ann(1814).

As can be seen there are a couple of gaps, but what drew my attention to them was finding a burial for a John Dance in 1810 aged 13 - which would fit perfectly in the gap between Hannah and Daniel. And also why was John Benjamin given a second name when none of his siblings have? (not counting Mary Ann!)

I was hoping that John and Mary might have had a son named John about 1797 in Barking?
Or another child between Daniel and Sarah?

There is also a burial for a Mary Dance aged 21 months 5 Oct 1805 in Barking (both burials found on FreeReg)

Thanks
Helen

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dance Baptisms Barking St Margaret c1800
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 January 20 12:47 GMT (UK) »
John Benjamin Dowse, bap 15 April 1798, Barking, parents John and Mary

Free image here of PR
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6Q9S-GV1?i=350

Born 12 March 1798.

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 January 20 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon
Many thanks for the link, I had forgotten that FS had Barking images!

Although it is very attractive idea, I do have some reservations as Dowse is a name in its own right and the image is very definitely Dowse. However, having said that, I cannot find any further mention of the family as yet.

But my major problem with this entry is that, to me, the names Dowse and Dance do not sound very similar, but it isn't unknown for people to change surnames.

I think I will have to consider this further, but thanks for your input.
Helen

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 January 20 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I see what you mean. But it is intriguing, them both being John Benjamin. It certainly was less common in those days to give a child two names.
John Dance is buried October 1810, age 13 (age would be one year out on JB Dowse, or perhaps was in his thirteenth year, if they did it like that)
Then John Benjamin Dance born in December 1810, and baptized in Barking, 16 June 1811.
It is a coincidence!
John