Author Topic: 1841 transcription  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1841 transcription
« on: Monday 27 January 20 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I would be most grateful if someone would look up the 1841 census for Maker. I have seen two transcriptions for this couple and each one gives a differing surname. The original image is difficult to read and I would like an opinion as to which surname is the most likely correct one.

It is HO107/135; Book 9, Folio 33, ED 5-6; pg 22 and one of the transcriptions is as a Charles CUNDY, age 75 and Susannah, (age 70) and the other as Charles LAWRY and Susanna. (same ages) This latter one is found on FreeCEN. Clearly one is incorrect.

Many thanks.
NOSWORTHY, HORSWILL, YELLAND, CROCKER, POPE in Devon; NESWORTHY in Durham & Northumberland; FARLEY in Sussex; RICKARD in Cornwall.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 transcription
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 January 20 21:11 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion it is Cundy. The original record on Ancestry is much clear than the one on FindMyPast.

Don't see how it could be Lawry looking at the Ancestry copy
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 20 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I agree with David, it's Cundy.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 January 20 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much to both of you ! Certainly the scan you have sent is very much clearer than the one I had access to. I would have to agree with you that it is, Cundy.

Thanks again; much appreciated.
NOSWORTHY, HORSWILL, YELLAND, CROCKER, POPE in Devon; NESWORTHY in Durham & Northumberland; FARLEY in Sussex; RICKARD in Cornwall.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 23:58 GMT (UK) »
The Cornwall OPC database has a burial for a "Charles Cundy alias Condy", aged 84, in Millbrook, Maker on 1st Oct. 1848.
https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=burials&id=4255623

Rather confusingly, there's also a burial for a "Joanna Cundy alias Condy", aged 88, in Millbrook, Maker on 27th Feb. 1848.
https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=burials&id=4255585
Eva family in Devon and Cornwall.
Bowdidge family in Devon and Dorset.

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 00:10 GMT (UK) »
The Cornwall OPC transcriptions are mine and come from the Exeter BTs which can be found online at Family Search.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fizzy.

Would you be able to post a link to where those are on the Family Search site? I found the Devon BTs but they definitely only seem to cover Devon and I can't find anything for Cornwall at all.
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/England,_Devon_Bishop%27s_Transcripts,_Coverage_Table_-_FamilySearch_Historical_Records

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Fizzy! I must have mis-read the age at death of Joanna Cundy when I typed my first message as it's clearly 82, not 88, in both the image and your transcription on the Cornwall OPC site.

I was wondering if Susanna Cundy and Joanna Cundy were the same person. The names can look similar when written down. However 70 in the 1841 census and then 82 when buried in 1848 is probably a bit too much of a discrepancy to conclude that.