Author Topic: Normanton, Leicestershire  (Read 548 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Normanton, Leicestershire
« on: Tuesday 28 January 20 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Seeking help with possible records in and around Normanton, Leicestershire.
I am looking for a marriage of John Lee of either Kilsby or Watford to a person named Elizabeth range 1675 to 1710.
Her parents leased house and land in Normanton owned by Richard Fermor of Tusmore, Oxon. Maybe Elizabeth's mother died 1709/1710.

They did not have surviving children in Watford, Northampton as John Lee's nephew Andrew the Lee, the Younger, my ancestor, inherited freehold land in Watford in 1726. John Lee's father, John Lee, was the co-owner of the Kilsby Manor Royalties from 1661.
From the Will of John Lee of Watford written in 1719:

Also, I give and bequeath unto my said wife Elizabeth Lee, the use of five rooms in the house at Normanton, in the County of Leicester, which her mother lived in, after her father’s death, which I hold by lease amongst other things, from Richard Fermor of Tusmore, in the County of Oxford, Esq. which said lease I did by Indenture, bearing the date, the one and thirtieth day of January in the year of our Lord, one thousand, seven hundred and ten, upon the marriage of my nephew Andrew Lee
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Normanton, Leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 March 20 09:45 GMT (UK) »

Just located the following; therefore, it would seem that John Lee's father-in-law had a tenement on the Manor of Normanton, here below writting as Normington, Leicestershire.

Someone might now have knowledge of tenants on the grounds of  Henry Fermor, which we inherited by his son Richard Fermor. I might be lucky and find his Elizabeth's surname.

Commission 6 Nov 1704
Samuel Cux, the Executor named in the will of Henry Fermor Jr deceased, who while he lived was the son and the Executor named in the will of Richard Fermor deceased, who while he lived was the son and [legatee] named in the will of Henry Fermor Esq late of Tusmore deceased, is to Administer the goods, rights and credits of [Henry Sr] according to the Will, because Richard [died during the administration] and the Executrix named in the will had died in the testator's lifetime.

Probate 8 Jun 1703 (see Notes)0
. I Henry Fermor of Tusmore Esq ... in very good health ...
My body is to be buried at Somerton.
I appoint my dearly beloved wife Ursula sole Executrix.
I give my Manor or Lordship of LEI Normington to my eldest son Richard Fermor and his lawful heirs male and the lawful heirs male of their bodies on these conditions:
He is to relieve my wife of a £500 debt, part of £1200 charged on lands in BKM Halton, which £500 I have not yet paid as I should have done by an Agreement made at Richard's marriage (he was to have the Manor of Halton come unencumbered to him after my decease). I give him my Lordship of Normington in recompense.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End