Author Topic: Missing MacGregors  (Read 912 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing MacGregors
« on: Tuesday 28 January 20 08:35 GMT (UK) »
I would be eternally grateful if some kind soul would be willing to look for the deaths of the following MacGregor siblings for me, as this may help to fill in gaping holes in my tree. Their parents were John MacGregor and Isabella Taylor and all were born in Edinburgh:
Isabella Henderson MacGregor b. 13 Feb 1865
Jessie Innes MacGregor b. 26 Jan 1867
William Taylor MacGregor b. 11 Mar 1869
Rankine Forrest MacGregor b. 28 Mar 1876
Patrick Watson MacGregor b. 1877
I have tried tracking them down by trawling through newspaper articles and a variety of other online records but have drawn a complete blank so far.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Missing MacGregors
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

Scotlandspeople has a death -
Patrick Watson MacGregor , age 51 , 1928 Ecclesmachan West Lothian.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Isabella Macgregor Head Widow 39   Lodging House Keeper   b Bathgate, Linlithgowshire (West Lothian)
Isabella Macgregor Daughter   16 Dressmaker b Edinburgh, Midlothian
Jessie  Macgregor Daughter   -14 Scholar bEdinburgh, Midlothian
Margaret Macgregor Daughter - 7   Scholar b Edinburgh, Midlothian
Rankine Macgregor Son   - 5 Scholar   b Edinburgh, Midlothian
Patrick Macgregor Son   - 3    bEdinburgh, Midlothian

I guess this is the family in 1881 at 2, Stafford Street, St Cuthberts, St Georges, Midlothian

Except William Taylor MacGregor but he is with all the family in 1891, Rankine is noted as Frank   

Find a grave:

Patrick Watson MacGregor born 1877 died 1928 buried Dalry Cemetery, City of Edinburgh

Not sure about this one Frank McGregor born 1876 died 1973 Evergreen Cemetery Prescott, Adams County, Iowa, United States of America

No trace of William yet. Do you know if the females Married?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 10:37 GMT (UK) »
From the birth records I think Jessie’s middle name was Innes?
A Jessie I Macgregor born about 1867 died 1938 Bournemouth Hampshire

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, ev and Colin!
Colin, yes, you have the right family in the census. William Taylor was with his younger brother John (my great-grandfather) at George Heriot's Hospital in 1881, but is not in the 1901 census which is frustrating. I thought I'd tracked him down as the chaplain of Craiglockhart Poorhouse, only to find out that that individual was a William Tomlinson MacGregor! There is the possibility that W.T. left for one of the colonies as my great-grandfather lived in South Africa and what was then Southern Rhodesia, for many years, and his sister Margaret Beveridge Henderson MacGregor also spent some time there, though was mostly based in Edinburgh, where she died in 1943.

Isabella disappears after the 1881 census so she either died or married before 1891. As for Jessie, I know she didn't marry, so that death entry sounds really promising. I will follow it up and order the certificate if needs be.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Isabella was with the rest of the family in 1891 at 8 Chalmer's St, Edinburgh St Cuthberts.
No deaths in Scotland on Scotland’s People. A number of marriages in the UK but none with the middle initial H

Colin

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking anyway, Colin. Half of this lot just don't seem to want to be found. Still, I know more about them than I did this morning! It's a pity Jessie died in 1938, otherwise I could have looked her up in the 1939 Register.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Birth year a little out but there is this death for a William Taylor Macgregor in South Africa 1936 -
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QM-JS31

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 20:06 GMT (UK) »
ev, I could kiss you! I have spent hours trawling that site in recent weeks and found nothing! South African records can sometimes be a bit vague on the details depending on who gave the info to the registrar, but that does look like my man. Cue crazy dance around the room!!! I will go back tomorrow and see if I can dig up any more on him.