Author Topic: Copying Census Returns  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Copying Census Returns
« on: Tuesday 28 January 20 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Is it legal to copy Census Returns from the Internet please.  If so, how does one go about it ?
Thanks !     ??? ??? ??? ???
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Copying Census Returns
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/census-records/

I think there is only a problem if you then re-publish them. Saving a copy of a return to your computer for your own use is perfectly legal and the facility exists on FindMyPast and Ancestry and elsewhere..

Or have I misunderstood the intention?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Max,

They'd be for my own personal use, of course.  The thing is, I've tried saving them in the past, but they come up as being npg documents instead of jpg, which means I can't open them. Any suggestions, please ??

Anne
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Just done a quick check on FindMyPast and Ancestry. From  the image,  "Download" bottom right on FindMyPast then save and "save" (to computer) top right on Ancestry in both cases saves a jpg for me?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Max   ;D ;D ;D