Author Topic: Any ideas what this 'crest' is?  (Read 24665 times)

Offline Nyx28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any ideas what this 'crest' is?
« on: Tuesday 28 January 20 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Please forgive me if you have been asked this before.

Does this look like part of a family crest to you? or does it look like it belongs to some other sort of order?

Backstory - This ring belongs to a deceased UID male. It's been years since he was found and he really needs to go back to his family. The fact his name may literally be on his hands is driving us crazy hence why we are asking for help.

It's possible the name starts with 'C' but that and the image is all we have.

Literally any words or terms associated with it that could help us track down this persons surname would be appreciated.

What animal is that? a griffon or dragon?
Cross Crosslet? 
etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas what this 'crest' is?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi welcome to Rootschat,
Doesn't look like a Griffin to me. (upper half eagle lower half lion) tail looks to thick.
You are right about cross crosslet

Fisherman
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Just done some checking and it could be a Griffin-male (large ears) but the tail isn't right.

Fisherman
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Richards in Breconshire

Offline Nyx28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 23:54 GMT (UK) »
It's weird I've been googling it for days and I can't find a creature exactly like that on any other crest.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Is there a hallmark on the ring? This should help determine it’s age, place of origin, the value of the ring and might give an indication whether or not this relates to a particular family. I would imagine that to have a ring with a family crest made would be hugely expensive.

Of course it may be a mass produced piece of jewellery with no family connection to the crest. The creature could be “made up”. There are gaps around the sides of black central section as though it replaced something else.

Having said that it is reasonably distinctive. Have you tried putting the image on any local facebook pages, local newspapers etc in case anyone recognises it (assuming the person was local to the area).  :-\

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Taken a closer look
I don't think it's a tail looks like the head has been erased (torn off)
So.... griffin-male head erased gorged (collared) and chained.

Fisherman
Richards in Breconshire

Offline Nyx28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 00:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure on the hallmark I'll have to enquire and come back to you on that one. I agree my first thoughts were that It could totally be a mass produced 'Argos' ring and no help at all in identifying him. He was wearing an Omega watch though and my understanding is they were pretty pricey at that time.

Where he came from I'm afraid is also a mystery. He was found in sea off the coast of Florida however his clothing, format of the date inscribed in another ring etc suggest he was not American and probably European (most likely British).

His story has been shared over the years and despite this gentleman having some very distinctive physical features and an artists rendering of his face being released along with photos of his possessions nobody has come forward with a name to date and it's now coming up the the 25th anniversary of his death.

This ring bugs us it's one of the pieces of the puzzle that has never been put into place after all this time.

Taken a closer look
I don't think it's a tail looks like the head has been erased (torn off)
So.... griffin-male head erased gorged (collared) and chained.

Fisherman

Ah that thing in the chest area is a collar and chain? That is something I'd not picked up on.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »
If it's a recognised crest you might find it in Fairburn's Book of Crests (I've had a quick look and can't see it)

https://tinyurl.com/thl3ljw  (descriptions - searchable)

and

https://tinyurl.com/rc64uvw  (images)

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 15:43 GMT (UK) »
He was wearing an Omega watch though and my understanding is they were pretty pricey at that time.

When dealing with a deceased person's estate a few years ago I discovered that Omega watches all have a unique serial number. This helps with dating and valuation etc, but I wonder if there might also be records showing where an individual watch had been bought?

He was found in sea off the coast of Florida however his clothing, format of the date inscribed in another ring etc suggest he was not American and probably European (most likely British).

Can you tell us any more about that ring? No guarantees, of course, but if it was a wedding date, for example, someone here might be able to track something down.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk