Author Topic: Business directories for Worcester 1940s and 1950s  (Read 813 times)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Business directories for Worcester 1940s and 1950s
« on: Wednesday 29 January 20 05:08 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a violin maker with the name Abraham [someone] who worked in Worcestershire during the 1940s and 1950s. Can anyone give advice or help as to how to go about this please? Would there be any online sources I could access?

My Tudgey relatives referred to him as "Uncle Abe". But he could be a Wilks or a Young.

Thank you.
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Business directories for Worcester 1940s and 1950s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the 1939 register?  Quite a lot of entries but if you know his wife’s name it may help to narrow the search

Are you sure he was a biological relative and not just a close family friend known as uncle?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamie H
I’ve looked through Kelly’s Directory of Worcestershire 1940, the "private residents" section and there isn’t an Abraham Wilks/Wilkes or Young, nor is there anyone living in the county who calls himself specifically a violin-maker. The only Musical instrument Maker listed is Thomas Vincent Raymond Casey 12 Edgar Street, Worcester who was in his 80’s, but he did call himself a violin-maker in 1939.

Unfortunately the Special Collections at Leicester
http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/map/collection/p16445coll4
doesn’t have any Worcestershire directories for the 1940’s or 50’s.

There are Birmingham and Evesham, Worcestershire newspapers for 1940-1960 in British Newspapers on-line but no mention of a Wilks or Young as a violin maker, so if "Uncle Abe" was one he must have worked for a company although I didn't spot a reference to any companies in Worcestershire.

Jack
PS There weren't any Tudgey violin makers

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 January 20 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Jack and CarolW for your replies to my post. I hope this message goes to both of you – I'm rather rusty. 

I don't know if "Uncle Abe" was a family friend and not a blood relative, but what you say is relevant, CarolW. I used to introduce family friends to my small children as "uncle" or "aunt" and one day, out of habit, I called their father "uncle" ! Oops.

And, thanks Jack for looking up all those sources for me. It remains a mystery.

Jamie H
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 January 20 11:32 GMT (UK) »
?
Absalom Taylor Tudge ? ( mmn Taylor )

b1909  m1940         d1996     
Bolton  Birmingham  Wiltshire     

1939 (ER) is living in13 Watt Road, Erdington     
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 January 20 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Ray - thank you very much. That looks like an interesting lead. I'll follow it up.