Author Topic: Deed Poll  (Read 2454 times)

Offline maltingo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deed Poll
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 January 20 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Rosie
The parents were married jfm 1952 so you are possibly right they re-registered in JAS receiving a proper reference, 4B 76

Thanks for setting me on the right path.
regards

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 February 20 15:57 GMT (UK) »
If the birth was re-registered after the marriage, then there should be another registration earlier, probably only indexed under the mother's name (but maybe under father's as well).

The other possibility is a simple late registration.

Offline maltingo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 February 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Antony, Thanks for your input.
There are two children in question.
First child born with a certain Surname, in 1950.
The mother then marries in amj 1952 to a person who the second child ( born in the February)relates to and has the fathers surname.
Both of these children are then re-registered in jas 1952, the first child's surname now reads the same as the second child.
This seems to me done to keep both children with the same surname, but how would you be able to have a child and then re-register him 2 years later under another surname ?

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 February 20 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Children don't have any surname at all on birth registrations until 1969, so what you are looking at in the indexes are the surnames of the parents (one or both depending on their marital status).

If you want to send me the details via PM I should be able to explain it for you.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 February 20 19:19 GMT (UK) »
It sounds like a re-registration under the Legitimacy Act 1926.

The Act allowed children to be legitimised by the subsequent marriage of their parents, provided that neither parent had been married to a third party at the time of the birth. In those circumstances, the legitimised birth was re-entered in the birth indexes for that year (sometimes many years after the original birth). The original entry would be annotated to refer to the new entry.

The act was modified by the Legitimacy Act 1959, which extended it to children whose parent(s) had been married to somebody else when they were born.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline maltingo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 February 20 19:32 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad, Well put, Thank you for the info.
regards

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 February 20 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I've replied to maltingo by PM - from the info they supplied to me this appears to be a combination of a re-registration (after marriage) and also a separate late registration, so quite a complicated one.

As always - you can't be certain of the details from index entries alone, and certificates would be required to know exactly.