Author Topic: Howff Cemetery, Dundee  (Read 596 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Howff Cemetery, Dundee
« on: Thursday 30 January 20 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Over 80,00 records of burials Howff Cemetery, Dundee now online-
http://www.fdca.org.uk/Howff_Burials.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Howff Cemetery, Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 January 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes - anyone using this needs to be aware that some unfortunate things happened en route to the web-site.

If I look for my Bruce family, there are no Bruce burials in the Howff, it claims, before about 1858. Not true at all. I was given to understand that some entries (scope unknown) were indexed but the indexes lost. The Howff books were properly reindexed for - I think - ScotlandsPeople.

Nevertheless, the search facility on these files - because it's just a text file, you can search every word - can be very useful.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 January 20 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Also, be aware of the need to check female deaths under both Maiden and Married names, as not all are cross referenced with the other.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 January 20 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes - anyone using this needs to be aware that some unfortunate things happened en route to the web-site.

If I look for my Bruce family, there are no Bruce burials in the Howff, it claims, before about 1858. Not true at all. I was given to understand that some entries (scope unknown) were indexed but the indexes lost. The Howff books were properly reindexed for - I think - ScotlandsPeople.

Nevertheless, the search facility on these files - because it's just a text file, you can search every word - can be very useful.

You should be able to see some pre1858 Bruce entries via http://graveyards.angus-antiquarian.info/index.php/component/finder/search?q=Bruce&Itemid=111
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 January 20 15:12 GMT (UK) »
... You should be able to see some pre1858 Bruce entries via http://graveyards.angus-antiquarian.info/index.php/component/finder/search?q=Bruce&Itemid=111
Thanks - nice to see that stuff appearing back again.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 13:23 GMT (UK) »
There are probably errors in the new typed version.

One case in point is the death entry for my 3 x great grandmother. It says she was from County Neath whereas the original on Scotlandspeople it is clearly written as County Westmeath.

All transcriptions are a wonderful tool but nothing beats looking at the original.

Just my observations.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife