Author Topic: World War II service after 1945 - Ashley Mervyn Flanigan NX503572  (Read 987 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
World War II service after 1945 - Ashley Mervyn Flanigan NX503572
« on: Thursday 30 January 20 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a relative named Ashley Mervyn Flanigan. He has a World War II file in the National Archives of Australia but seems to have been too young to have fought in the war. His Service No. is NX503572 and he enlisted at Liverpool NSW, giving his father James Flanigan as next of kin. His date of birth is 12 Mar 1928 at Coolamon NSW. He would not have turned 18 until 12 Mar 1946, by which time the fighting was over. My own father put his age up to enlist, but the false d.o.b. he gave is the one in all the military records. So Ashley must have given 1928 as his d.o.b. when he enlisted. I realise that personnel who went to Japan after the war as part of the occupying force are considered to have served in WWII, and that is the only possible explanation I have. But would they have been taking on new recruits when they had so many existing personnel preparing to be demobbed? Is there any way I can check his date of enlistment and theatre of service? Thanks, Geoff Turner

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: World War II service after 1945 - Ashley Mervyn Flanigan NX503572
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 January 20 22:13 GMT (UK) »
He gets a mention here in 1940, 5th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article144325785

In Wagga in 1846, 1st column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article145003625

Could not men join the forces at any time, war or not?

You can purchase the record I think.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 January 20 22:46 GMT (UK) »
People could join at any time, especially after World War II, when the defence forces became permanent, not just volunteer, as I understand it. But Flanigan is credited as a WWII soldier, which is what puzzles me, since he was too young to enlist before the end of hostilities in 1945. But thanks for those other items. It shows he was still in Wagga in May 1946, not in Japan.     

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 January 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
The Second AIF was disbanded on 30 June 1947 so anyone enlisting before that date was given a VX/NX etc. service number.  Those who enlisted in the CMF were also given the same service number.  He would not have been permitted to serve overseas or in the NT before the age of 21.

Debra  :)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 January 20 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Debra. So he didn’t go overseas. I wonder if enlistment at Liverpool gives a clue to whether he was CMF or regular army? Geoff

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 January 20 23:43 GMT (UK) »
He does not appear in the nominal roll so most likely CMF, but you would need to purchase a copy of the service records for those details.

Debra  :)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 January 20 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, when he wasn’t in the nominal roll we thought the WWII reference must have been an error. But then another family researcher found him in the Archives complete with NX number. I think the CMF is the likely answer, given what you say. I will pass the information on. I don’t feel it necessary to purchase the record but someone else might. Thanks to you and Jamjar for all your help! Geoff

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 January 20 07:15 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

From the Australian War Memorial site re Army Number.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/numbers/army

Note the paragraph 'After the Second World War" and X500000 series.

Gerry