Author Topic: Dudley marriage licence  (Read 728 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dudley marriage licence
« on: Friday 31 January 20 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have a marriage in 1767 at Dudley St Thomas, by licence, between Benjamin Lakin of Tamworth and Mary Green of Dudley.

Where can I find records of the diocese for marriage licences of this period? I am hoping to gain more information about the wife in this instance, as she is so far untraceable.

Many thanks  :)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dudley marriage licence
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 January 20 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking that Bonds and Allegations would be at Stafford Record Office (Diocese of Lichfield) - assuming they have survived.  However, just looked at my guide book and Dudley comes under the diocese of Worcester, so you may need to contact Worcester Records Office.

Not sure that they would help with Mary, but "if you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer".  ;D

ADDED:  Sorry, just looked at the Diocese of Lichfield records on FindMyPast, and there is nothing there.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 January 20 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi BumbleB,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention I have tried Find My Past, and didn't get anything from the Diocese of Lichfield either. So definitely looking at Worcester. I had hoped there would be records somewhere, but from what you have said I think it would be a matter of asking at the Record Office. I'll hope their fees aren't too high, as I can't visit in person.

:)
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 January 20 10:05 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Mary Green 8 Nov 1747
It is on Ancestry so naturally they got the County wrong Dudley, Stafford, England
Father:   James Green - Mother:   Sarah

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 January 20 10:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Mary Green 8 Nov 1747
It is on Ancestry so naturally they got the County wrong Dudley, Stafford, England
Father:   James Green - Mother:   Sarah

Colin

Not often that I stick up for Ancestry - but I think you will find that the record was created by another site  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 January 20 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Sadly all the records for the Dudley area of Worcestershire are noted as Staffordshire, I have done a lot of research for that area on Ancestry and it is very confusing and I have notified them in the past. If the records were from a third party I think they should have corrected them.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 January 20 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 January 20 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Bonds and Allegations....just looked at my guide book and Dudley comes under the diocese of Worcester, so you may need to contact Worcester Records Office.

It is indexed on FamilySearch (as is the marriage on 25 Aug 1767)
Benjamin Lakin + Mary Green
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 24 Aug 1767
Event Place: Worcestershire, England
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGTN-HK9C

Digital Folder Number 007760132
which is Calendar of allegations of marriages, 1720-1786, Diocese of Worcester

So that tells us when. There seem to be three films of Worcester diocese marriage bonds and allegations, 1766-1767, but not viewiable at home
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/342297?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 January 20 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I had seen records also for Staffordshire, and thought it must be a county border issue. I'll note that baptism for 1747 and hope it turns up something.

Having the details of the Worcester diocese marriage bonds and allegations from Family Search is a great help. I'll contact my local Family History Centre and see if they can assist.

Thanks so much!