Author Topic: Looking for info: Janet Orr 19/10/1815 Ayr and Frederick Mcpherson (writer)  (Read 20649 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info: Janet Orr 19/10/1815 Ayr and Frederick Mcpherson (writer)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 31 January 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I'ts her by  george !!!! Thank you dearly Chempat. You solved a huge mystery for me. I got the document and it says Janet Stewart and John Orr - weaver parents !!!

Well done   ;D

Cheers and thanks manyfold
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 31 January 20 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes I had read that lawful vs. Nat before. Though sometimes it was very hard to read. Thanks for reminding me. At least it didn't mention fornication,,,,

Indeed  ;D
One wonders how Janet met a 'Writer in Edinburgh'.....
Odd they use the name for as a middle name for Emma (which in itself would not be a common Ayrshire girl's name at that time).

Looby :)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 31 January 20 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant.

There were quite a few Janet Orr's from Ayrshire getting married and being born around the right times, so was wondering if we needed to look at the others.

Perhaps there is also another McPherson in either parents' tree (you have William Edgar's to look into if you want)  to explain that middle name?

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 January 20 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Pretty sure the writer part is the W,S writers of the signet as Frederick Mcpherson ESQ W.S was listed in the postal and Pigot guides in Edinburgh. When you look that up it leads to Frederick Adolphus ESQ , gentleman, who died in Australia in 1863. Sounds like a good match but how to prove he fathered Frederick Mcpherson in 1834 with Janet Orr?
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 January 20 09:54 GMT (UK) »
IGI gives 10 births for William Edgar/Janet Orr including Sarah Perks Edgar 1857, Mary Mcclonnachan Edgar 1844, David Orr Edgar 1853, and previously mentioned Emma McPherson Edgar 1846.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 January 20 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm just thrilled to know a little more about my great-gran Janet Orr ! She had a huge family after Frederick... Wow.

Now I need to find Frederick Mcpherson the father's birth and death. If the Austrailian Adolphus is him then I have the death cert and they only mention Major Alexander Macpherson as father... no mother is listed. Says he died in 1863 at age 50. There is a birth on FS from England the right year with the name Frederick Adolphus Macpherson but parents are listed as Neil and Sarah.

If you see any clues...  :D let me know.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 31 January 20 10:05 GMT (UK) »
What does it say on Frederick junior’s death certificate about his father’s name and occupation?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 January 20 10:13 GMT (UK) »
His father is listed as Major Alexander Mcpherson 2nd west indian battalion. I see him having a bunch of kids in Jamacia with an Elanor Wright but no Frederick. Then he remarries a Sarah Fox later and dies evebtually in 1842 in New Zealand.  Never mentions where or when Frederick Adolphus Mcpherson was born or who mother is. Does say 50 when died in 1863 though.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 January 20 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry it always says the junior Frederick was a shoemaker all his life... but it does not mention his father at all. Only says Janet Orr mother. I knew that meant Federick father was likely estranged.